How does one acquire a 12HT engine stateside? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I would much prefer this diesel to a 2F or even a vortec conversion (barf). What do I need to be doing to find and acquire such an engine? Appreciate all tips; if need be IM me. I want a turbo diesel in my "87 FJ60. I am installing new H55F this weekend, then will be looking for an engine soon. I want a 12HT and whatever goes with it...

PS my cruiser is a-ok from clutch back (pending imminent H55F install).
PPS beno is the man for parts, (esp when I work about 20 miles from him - no shipping!)
PPPS: a 350 SBC does sound good to me for all the real reasons (MPG and right foot), but my bug-out paranoid post-apocalyptic wish is for a good Toyota multi-fuel diesel to get me over the next ridge to safety, and solidarity. Or something.

My bud who flies choppers (Army) did a diesel conversion on his 4wd mid-90s Taco, and it rips, plus also has long-haul creds (went from N GA to the Erie shore for the Nat Rifle Matches and back - on used engine oil and $8 worth of diesel) - it is a cool vehicle, I think he got the drive train from Canada. I would love to put a strong Toyota diesel in my FJ60. SO first I need to find and buy a 12HT.

Australia is your best source for a 12HT, the wreckers here in Brisbane, Queensland have them for around $5k -$6k AUD, that's around $4k US, they will ship to US etc, or source one from Japan.

I finished one just last Xmas and building my second one now?

IMG_1366.JPG

IMG_1361.JPG

IMG_1632.jpg

All your 12HT parts will most likely come from Oz, with good availability and reasonable shipping costs. If you do all the work yourself, no prob, but otherwise you need a mechanic willing to climb the learning curve.

but my bug-out paranoid post-apocalyptic wish is for a good Toyota multi-fuel diesel to get me over the next ridge to safety, and solidarity. Or something.

then a toyota diesel shouldn't be on your list.
there is no support for them here. you will not walk into your local dealership and find parts for it. the local parts stores would be even more confused by it, as it's not even in their systems.

there is no support for them here. you will not walk into your local dealership and find parts for it. the local parts stores would be even more confused by it, as it's not even in their systems.

you would be surprised how much you can get at your local dealership as long as you have a part number. granted it wont be on the shelf but most of your 80 series parts wont either however they can normally have them within a couple of days

Good info. I'll have to think on it some more. That is a clean engine, looks great!

There are many other parts suppliers in the US other than the dealers that carry diesel parts.

I would recommend a 1HZ.

I did a 12HT swap here in the states and sourced a Japanese engine. I have to say, if your going to get a 12HT, get one from Japan. The australian guys tend to really thrash their trucks (and rightfully so because they are work vehicles not grocery wagons). But the Japanese engines tend to have much lighter miles.

That being said. A Japanese engine will be more expensive because of the lower miles/it will be out of a nicer vehicle.

A thing to note. You dont want an engine. You want a CAR. It takes a lot more than just the engine to make the swap happen. You will need a lot of little parts and a lot of big ones that dont just "come with an engine".

I would highly recommend importing a complete HJ61 or a half-cut from japan and doing the swap that way. IF your bent on a 12HT.

If not. The 1HZ is the way to go. Parts can be had MUCH easier. Im already having problems with my 12HT not being able to find an oil pan for less than $400.

Any questions PM me or look at my swap thread bellow in my signature.

I agree with the above, preferring one from Japan over Australia.
People are very very aware of how valuable these engines are, and charge accordingly. On ebay Australia, they want 5 grand for an exchange 12HT, and I saw one once that was damaged, yet still going for 4 grand.

If one went for an 80 series engine, wouldn't the 1HDT be the better choice as it is also direct injected and turboed just like the 12HT?

Not really interested in a Cummins, and I know how to google. Thanks anyway. I'd do a vortec before I'd do that.

Picking up a new H55F from beno today, and will be rebuilding my t-case and clutch also. After that goes in, a knuckle/steering box/tie rod end job is next. So I have time to mull my options. Sounds like a 12HT is not a viable option unless I get the whole HJ61.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom