How does an 80 series perform on tight, slick forested terrain? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I had my 80 series I expected the solid axles and beefy drivetrain to elevate it to another level off-road compared to my old 98 Tacoma single cab. However, in some situations, I found the LC's overbuilt tank-like design to be more of a hindrance than an asset on the narrow, muddy, and overgrown trails typical of the Ozark region.

Counterintuitively, I found the little 3200 lb IFS truck to be better suited to the kind of situations; despite being far less robust, it was able to negotiate certain obstacles where the big 80 series got bogged down and lost traction. (Both had open diffs).
1673042445160.jpeg

Admittedly, this could have been user error, but has anyone else had experiences with this? I do miss the commanding seating position, interior space, AWD, and the general feeling of overbuilt quality of the 80 series, but are they more designed for the open, rocky terrain found in the western US and the middle east, where the solid axles and beefy frame would be essential for holding up to sustained abuse?

Basically, I'm wondering what kind of environments and uses Toyota had in mind when they designed this model that is often heralded as their high-water mark.

1673042401567.jpeg

Don't get me wrong: I love the model and acknowledge its timeless beauty and rangy charm. In fact, I am on the lookout for another one, but I never quite understood the platform when I had my 97; it seemed like it was stuck somewhere between a compact SUV and a full-size domestic truck.

The 80 series is a very well built station wagon, but it will always be a station wagon- heavy, large, cumbersome. It is not the best platform for any type of offroading. It does have some redeeming qualities, which make it a good platform for many types of offroading, but there will always be something more suited to whatever specific situation you might find yourself in. That said, it does most things pretty well.

well my profile picture is of my single cab tacoma so that should tell you something about what i have owned.

Its not fun shoving 5+ people in the tacoma, they get pissed when they get covered in mud in the back. the 80 is a giant SUV thats in a totally different class than a mini truck.

For tight trails, like the ones we have here, the tacoma just destroys the 80 but if the need is to haul a family and camping gear the 80 does great. the aftermarket support for the tacoma is lightyears ahead and about 1/3 the price not to mention actually in stock.

its really not fair to compare them. they both have a place and you need to figure out what works for you.

This thread is a perfect example of the correct way to troll a forum!!!!!

Well done sir

...the open, rocky terrain found in the western US...where the solid axles and beefy frame would be essential for holding up to sustained abuse...
This is why I bought my 80, to tackle the desert in comfort.
But when the going gets slick, I'd rather have my old pickup. On a slippery slope, the 80 can scare the crap out of me!

When I had my 80 series I expected the solid axles and beefy drivetrain to elevate it to another level off-road compared to my old 98 Tacoma single cab. However, in some situations, I found the LC's overbuilt tank-like design to be more of a hindrance than an asset on the narrow, muddy, and overgrown trails typical of the Ozark region.

Counterintuitively, I found the little 3200 lb IFS truck to be better suited to the kind of situations; despite being far less robust, it was able to negotiate certain obstacles where the big 80 series got bogged down and lost traction. (Both had open diffs).
View attachment 3212142

Admittedly, this could have been user error, but has anyone else had experiences with this? I do miss the commanding seating position, interior space, AWD, and the general feeling of overbuilt quality of the 80 series, but are they more designed for the open, rocky terrain found in the western US and the middle east, where the solid axles and beefy frame would be essential for holding up to sustained abuse?

Basically, I'm wondering what kind of environments and uses Toyota had in mind when they designed this model that is often heralded as their high-water mark.

View attachment 3212141

Don't get me wrong: I love the model and acknowledge its timeless beauty and rangy charm. In fact, I am on the lookout for another one, but I never quite understood the platform when I had my 97; it seemed like it was stuck somewhere between a compact SUV and a full-size domestic truck.

Are you and Suunrk related? Cousins from the Ozarks maybe?

Upon reflection this was kind of a superfluous thread to start. Idk, I guess I just miss my Land Cruiser and regret getting rid of it. Mods can delete if they see fit.

Are you and Suunrk related? Cousins from the Ozarks maybe?
Cousins? Brothers? In the Ozarks isn't everyone family?

Upon reflection this was kind of a superfluous thread to start. Idk, I guess I just miss my Land Cruiser and regret getting rid of it. Mods can delete if they see fit.
Nah, were just teasing. It's actually a good thread.

I have noticed my 80 doesn't like slippery off camber situations. My 98 Tacoma did seem to do a little better in this specific scenario but in my experience the 80 has been better in all other regards. Especially deep snow and sand. My 98 sucked in the snow and sand.

80's are big vehicles with a fairly high C of G so they naturally aren't suitable for zippy/speedy driving off-road or on any slick/slippery surface. Drive to conditions and drive the 80 not so fast! Speed isn't the answer to all the world's problems. ;)

Speed isn't the answer to all the world's problems. ;)
never tell someone from the ozarks that, they think meth is the answer to everything.

oh wait, you are talking about a different kind of speed huh. well if they could read they might take offense to this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom