How Does a 62 Do Towing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have managed to get my 62 fairly reliable and am considering towing a 2,000 lb. camper to events.

I have 170k on the odometer, but the transmission works just fine. I have a transmission cooler that I have yet to install, but it will be installed soon.

I do have concerns of frying my transmission after reading about other transmission woes on Mud. What do you guys think about towing this trailer around, maybe even through mountains? Would I be drastically shortening the life of my transmission?

THe best thing you can do is install that tranny cooler. A 2000 lb camper trailer is not really that heavy untill you put all of your gear in the rig etc. You will definatly feel it. Although the rig is not a power house it does have good torque and as long as you keep that tranny cool you should be ok. You have a reasonable wheel base which will help handling etc. Just don't plan on being the first to arrive. Is the tranny cooler one with a fan on it?

What gear ratio is in those rigs? if you are commited to towing and plan on keeping the rig a gear swap might help.

Just my 2 cents.

landcruisers are no f250's or chevy 2500's.

they are able to pull more than they are able to stop.

i'd make sure my suspension was in great shape (beef it up with AAL's and good shocks if it's stock).

if the trailer has brakes it should be fine. If not be careful.

I think my bass boat weighs about 1500 with the trailer and all my gear. I have yet to pull it since the diesel swap but the 2f was very slow to get u to speed especially going up hill. On uphill hwy entrance ramps i was not a very popular person.

Pulling it in/out of the water was always a breeze even when the lake levels were down 15ft and i was having to drive from ramp into the soft lakebed clay.

Stopping at cruising speeds is another story, the boat always wanted to push the cruiser. Trailer brakes would have been perfect.

I recently towed a saturn vue on a tow dolly across tow. That little 4dr SUV pushed my cruiser all over the place. I would not want to do that again any time soon

No, no fan on the cooler. And I don't plan on using this as a dedicated tow rig -- we have the 80 for the family camping trips etc. What I would like to do is take the trailer to some TLCA events where I would prefer to have the 62 rather than the 80.

Trailer brakes are mandatory if you want to stop. I even run brakes on my camp/utility trailer. Just makes stopping with the trailer so much easier. And don't even consider pulling 2000lbs plus without trailer brakes.

If you pull a trailer often and you have a larger than stock tire a gear change is a good idea. This is probably more important than the tranny cooler. An auto is better at pulling a trailer but only when the gear ratio's and tire sizes are matched up.

Tony

I tow my "utility" trailer around a lot, and even though it doesn't have brakes on it yet, the 62 does ok bringing the added weight to a stop. Empty it weighs 1200. Pulled it cross country this past winter, trailer weighed 1700lbs and cruiser weighed 6700 lbs. I didnt feel uncomfortable at all towing it, just had to open up the distance in front of me a bit more at times.
Now that being said, my 62 is not an automatic, I run an H41 with the stock 4.11's and I think that helps a lot with power and gas mileage. I get better gas mileage now pulling the trailer than I did without and the automatic. :cheers:

Now that being said, my 62 is not an automatic, I run an H41 with the stock 4.11's and I think that helps a lot with power and gas mileage.

My biggest concern is my transmission. I don't mind driving slow up mountains. What I am more concerned about is causing the early demise of my A440f.

I tow quite a bit with my cruisers. I tow several different types of trailers ,skiboat,sailboat,4-wheeler,construction etc.I use tow chains, BFG tires in very good shape,keep the shocks replaced when needed,rear sway bar bushings replaced, and engine and transmission serviced frequently. On flat ground there is no problem: in the mountains of Arkansas going up the steepest hills you have to go slow. Actually my 1987 fj60 seems to tow up hill the best. I do use air shocks and air bags. When I used to tow our 28 foot party barge that seemed to make the cruisers feel like the boat had a mind of its own. Mike

What?!!! wheel the .... outta the 80 and tow with it C'mon of course if the 62 is modded... Id still take the stock lockers an adjustable leather seats on the trail any day lol but then im biased!!
Just checkin this out.. I need a second cruiser. But not yet ready Im reading up
Hope to see you at Gsmtr

What?!!! wheel the .... outta the 80 and tow with it C'mon of course if the 62 is modded... Id still take the stock lockers an adjustable leather seats on the trail any day lol but then im biased!!
Just checkin this out.. I need a second cruiser. But not yet ready Im reading up
Hope to see you at Gsmtr

Yeah, I don't know how much the wife would appreciate me beating up her truck. And as far as GSMTR in concerned, my second girl is due on May 19. I could go, but I would have to sign the divorce papers upon my return. :p\

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom