How do you seal an existing water main going through a concrete wall??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so, we purchase a new to us home a few months ago and noticed that when it rains water comes through the gap that is found around the copper water main coming in the house through the concrete wall 6 feet below ground level in our basement.

I have read about several methods to solve this issue, from the use of expanding foam to filling the gap with Hydraulic cement. I would assume that I need to chisels out around the pipe to obtain a greater bond if I decide to go the Hydraulic cement route.

anyone have any experience in dealing with this issue? Should I suck it up and dig out around my foundation 7 feet deep and tackle the issue from the outside of the house rather than the inside? I'm looking to solve this problem for good and not a temporary fix. Any help would be appreciated. Attached is a pick of the main coming out of the concrete wall in the basement.

Best,

Zane
water main in basement.jpg

I would go the hydraulic cement route. Chip it out a bit in width and depth.

Yep, Hydraulic cement is the stuff. Some people paint or put some tar on the pipe before doing it, as sometimes copper reacts to cement.

Cheers

X3 on hydraulic cement. Had the same problem, chisled around it by hand a little bit, mixed up the hydraulic cement and put it in a cake icing bag to get it in as deep as possible and finished off the wall with a putty knife. It has held excellent for 3 years now with no moisture issues.

I would suggest a epoxy to seal it. I have used hydraulic cement on a few holes but if you have alot of water coming in it wont stop it. If you do try the hydraulic cement, spray the wall and hole down with water so the existing concrete dont suck the water out of it and make it crack and it wont seal. or you can do what I did today in the picture below.
My wall.jpg

zane, i'd do whatever the crew above recommends but also as a precaution, i'd drylock the walls afterwards. when i got the house we're in now it RAN water into the garage, actually the day we closed water was running. Little investigations into the source and found a downspout flowing back towards the foundation. A downspout redirect tube for $10 and about $100 of drylock and i could move tools in. Get the waterbased version of the drylock of Cheryl will kill you.. The older oil based will get you high as a kite..

I really considered digging from the outside, down to the water main, but will first try the Hydraulic Cement from the inside of the house. I also plan to chisel out around the copper pipe a bit in depth and width to provide greater surface area for the cement to bond to.

I have also found that i need to bring in quite a bit of dirt to provide adequate drainage away from the house. I also plan to dig drain pipes for my gutters to re direct the flow out into the yard rather than 2 feet from the foundation.

Anyone know where to get fill dirt delivered to Lee's Summit, MO?

Wait- do you need fill or topsoil? If near house, typically topsoil.

Either way, you find it, get it dumped in the driveway, and I can bring my tractor with front end loader over to put it in place, or closer at least.

Better living through hydraulics

Wait- do you need fill or topsoil? If near house, typically topsoil.

Either way, you find it, get it dumped in the driveway, and I can bring my tractor with front end loader over to put it in place, or closer at least.

Better living through hydraulics

Looking for topsoil then! I might just have to take you up on you bringing your tractor over, that would save me from a stiff back and a ton of time. :)

:DGlad to help out.

Plus I can scoop a pile of dirt into my friends driveway around the corner from your place just to freak them out.

oh, Just need to do this after April 18th.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom