How do you remove the overspeed beeper?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys I need help finding the overspeed beeper to remove it before I go crazy. I'm just not able to stick my head under the dash at 108km - well at least safely. My unit is a 88 BJ74 that I just picked up a couple of weeks ago. Put 6000km on it in the last 15 days and LOVE it. For anybody wondering the OME suspension is well worth it to put on. Also a little bit warmer than the old 83 BJ74 I had in the early nineties.

if you want to bring a case of Pepsi with you for my troubles i will disconect it for you...
that is exactly what i had to do to find the first one i brought in...

Gbusch,

I have been saving up for some new suspension for my BJ74 and would like to take a peak at yours....

Where are you located???

Todd

leave the overspeed buzzer in there and slow down ;p

I know you bertans are 110 speed limit.........

gbusch said:
Hey guys I need help finding the overspeed beeper to remove it before I go crazy. I'm just not able to stick my head under the dash at 108km - well at least safely. My unit is a 88 BJ74 that I just picked up a couple of weeks ago. Put 6000km on it in the last 15 days and LOVE it. For anybody wondering the OME suspension is well worth it to put on. Also a little bit warmer than the old 83 BJ74 I had in the early nineties.
Cool I will have to take you up on that when I get some time off and get to visit the big city. I wanted to bug you about the propane injection anyways. Thanx Wayne - I will be talking to you soon. Pepsi/Beer - what ever it takes

crushers said:
if you want to bring a case of Pepsi with you for my troubles i will disconect it for you...
that is exactly what i had to do to find the first one i brought in...
Hi urbancarrot. I work out around the castor/consort area but get upto wetaskiwin every so often and that's not to far from edmonton. Just e-mail me your phone # and name to gbusch@telus.net and I will get back to you. By the way the new Yokohama Geolander MT+ tires really kick a$$ for grip and are really quite for MT's. I will try to post a picture if I can figure it out.

88 bj74 with ome and 31'' tires

Apache December - January 047.jpg
Apache December - January 047.jpg

looks nice, congrates.
Pepsi will be fine, i am not a big fan of beer...
we can chat about the PI when you get here, i went back through my emails and noticed you had sent me a couple. sorry about not responding.
cheers

Whites a good colour on a 70. Congrates, cool unit.

Its a little black box with a wire and connector going into it. It is located just under the steering column underneath the dash. Just pop the connector off and remove the little black box. It's simple - can be done in about 30 seconds.

Regards

brownbear said:
Whites a good colour on a 70. Congrates, cool unit.

cool .. only cool .. woouuu I thought is a f beauty Cruiser .. !!!! :D Ya I know .. I need more control .. but this fiber top .. I Love it . !

Still needs more goodies and maybe 33's.

I have been running the unit for three weeks now and it has worked flawlessly over the last 7000km. The power is OK with 31's but think it would look better with 33's. Has anybody made the switch from 31's to 33's and was there a huge loss in power? I will be fabricating a roof rack in the spring and maybe some lower body armour. Thanks for all the pictures everybody is posting and giving me ideas. Too bad they always seem to cost more money. If anybody has a good line on some 15 inch wheels or a dealer - let me know. Mine are a little rusty. Also dying for fender flares.

Lots of us run 33" tires...and I think with the H55f and 4.11s in the third member, it's an unbeatable combination.

A couple of suggestions you might consider...instead of buying 15" factory rims, why not go with the 16"? Do a quick search on the forum and you'll find the part numbers for them to take to Toyota. I have them on my BJ74, and you can click on my website link to view them if you like.

Once you get your 16" OEM wheels, you can then purchase a set of 255/85r/16 tires. This size tire will give you a 33.3" tall tire (approx.) with a cross section of about 10.50". The great thing about going metric with 16" tires, is that most of them are true truck tires (not passenger tires) wtih a higher ply rating and load rating.

As far as power goes, I definitely did notice a drop in accelleration going to the bigger tire (mine originally came with 32" tires that were worn out). But the gear ratios of my tranny now seems better suited to my driving, and highway speeds are pleasant with my RPMs at about 2200 going at 110 km/h.

HTH.

Stone said:
Lots of us run 33" tires...and I think with the H55f and 4.11s in the third member, it's an unbeatable combination.HTH.

And after doing all that Stone suggests, shim your wastegate out about 6mm, and make up a little of that lost power. Do a seach here or in the diesel section for details.

hth's

gb

Greg posted some good advice or for easier install run an adjustable grainer valve and set the boost to 14psi...
cheers

Thanks again for the help guys. I will be getting some 16" rims and love the simple turbo boost adjustment. I am not the most mechanically inclined at these things but it doesn't look to bad. What is factory boost setting? Is 14 psi a safe setting? 2200rpm @ 110kph is great - right now I am running about 2500-2600 at 105kph. Which appears to be a little high to get good fuel mileage. My friend had 35's on his 89 -BJ74 and he had tons of power and better mileage. I am thinking someone played around with his before he bought it. It pi$$e$ me off when he walks away from me with 4 extra inches of rubber. I need to rectify this problem.

gbusch said:
What is factory boost setting?

9 - 10 ( max ) psi ..

gbusch said:
Is 14 psi a safe setting?

I prefeer 12 .. but 14 in in the range ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom