How do you keep your camp kitchen seasonings, oil, etc? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We’re slowly getting back into camping more, transitioning from backpackers who generally went without many of the niceties that we can now leisurely bring along when truck camping. I keep forgetting to pack up basics like some cooking oil one trip, then the next trip forgot to grab the salt/pepper shakers. Makes sense to just keep what I may need as additional gear in my growing camp kitchen box.

Any suggestions for neat ways you pack things like oil and different seasonings that help them from getting cruddy or humidity messing with the seasonings?

I keep salt, pepper, seasoning mixes, sometimes sugar, in the kitchen box all the time. If I forget some specific thing I'll at least have that. Oils and stuff like that, I haven't really figured out yet. We usually fill a small Nalgene bottle with just what we need for a given trip. Usually gets packed in one of the food boxes.

I use this set that I got at Home Depot for $99 to completely store everything I need for my kitchen, including pans, coffee maker, coffee, lights, seasonings, cleaning materials, knives, utensils, etc.

Search ‘camp boxes’ and make one that suites you.
It’s in a truck, just use the original containers for oil and spices.

Stole these from my wife's collection: Tupperware Personal Salt and Pepper Shakers. I have several and use them for salt, pepper, sugar and rub. The lids seal very well and keep the spice fresh. For cooking oil, I just buy a small container of oil in a plastic bottle.

Amazon Link
1564584992497.png

My camp gear organization may not be as advanced as some of you although I now have many things in a large ActionPacker box and a MTM ammo crate. I found a little nalgene squirt bottle to hold a couple ounces of cooking oil and put that and my salt & pepper shakers in a sandwich size tupperware container. I guess I can just use a bigger tupperware as my camp kitchen grows.

If I don't keep these items in my camp boxes I often forget to grab them from the kitchen. I tend to cook pretty basic meals that minimize prep and dirty gear so haven't brought much in terms of seasonings/cooking supplies, but hope to change that as we camp more and I make more interesting meals. What are some staples you keep in your camp box to ensure you always have them?

Salt & pepper
oil
maybe some No-Salt seasoning (mixture of dried seasonings)

What else?

I use this set that I got at Home Depot for $99 to completely store everything I need for my kitchen, including pans, coffee maker, coffee, lights, seasonings, cleaning materials, knives, utensils, etc.

We recently did the same thing, 'cept it was a Craftsman model on sale at Rona. It works quite well, takes up less space than the gigantic action packer it was all in before, and it's organized!

I have 2 front runner “Wolfpack” boxes, I have a tall lid on one for more storage. One is tools and recovery stuff and the other is camping and cooking supplies. These are neat cuz they are also stackable and make a nice table next to your chair if you want. And there under $40 ea. I believe

782C9D03-87A4-404B-87CF-F40988EAC9B3.jpeg

@JohnVee turned me on to mini nalgene bottles for seasonings and oils that live in the kitchen box 100% of the time. Super durable, plenty of volume options. I got 4 of the 4oz bottles and I'm very happy with them. Enough oil/spice for 2-3 weekend trips before refill.

Amazon product ASIN B000P9Z21I

For what’s it ma worth I have 2 frontrunner wolf packs. Basically 2 black storage bins with snap on covers. One is for tools and the other for camping/cooking supplies. I keep my spices, cookware, oil, pans, plates, coffe, etc etc in there
7A33AA8F-58EE-48A7-A922-FB0F36E6EBA3.jpeg
299CFDB6-9DC8-41B4-8668-2186CA1F9477.jpeg

For those of us who might want to carry more oil than the mini Nalgenes hold or who don’t trust the original bottles that oil comes in, and I’m pointing directly at olive oil here, Nalgene also offers some bottles that are more rectangular in shape and IIRC are around 8oz. They might be a more efficient pack. REI always has them.

I know there’s a thread here where someone mentioned using TicTac containers for spices. That’s a pretty good space maximizer, even if it doesn’t seal airtight.

I’ve been using heavy duty mini zip seal bags from The Container Store for herbs lately. I can say that their problem is when the contents get caught in the female side of the zipper and prevent it from closing well. Not really a problem when traveling light and packing for the specific trip where they’ll likely only be used once or twice.

I've been using old spice containers. for storage of seasonings and also making seasoning blends to minimize the amount of containers.
So instead of salt and pepper separately, I mix the two, I also build seasonings for what Im going to make, I generally make a southwest/texmex blend, an Italian blend and a general purpose blend with paprika, onion pow, gran garlic, and a bit of thyme. If I know I'll be making something specific, I will add that seasoning blend as well. It gives me a good mix of flavors and allows for a few variations of cooking the same protein.
As for oil, I am a fa of the 8oz nalgene style bottles.

I'm with @COChef . I always have salt and pepper, cajun, and an Italian mix in the cook box. I'll make something special ahead of time if needed for a particular meal. Really, we're talking about cooking in the woods. That alone makes a meal great, regardless of the 'perfect seasonings'...though I'm still working on accepting that!

I also found that a tubular toothbrush holder can hold 2 Victorinox paring knives perfectly. FYI, these inexpensive knives are flat out awesome. I have them at home for steak knives (the longer version) and kitchen utility knives. They sharpen easily and are very affordable. Definitely get something other than black for your camp box.

If you need to have a lot of olive oil for a long trip, consider a Platypus wine bag/bottle. They're heavy duty and flexible. For short trips I use the PDW Versa Bear silicone bottles.

@JohnVee turned me on to mini nalgene bottles for seasonings and oils that live in the kitchen box 100% of the time. Super durable, plenty of volume options. I got 4 of the 4oz bottles and I'm very happy with them. Enough oil/spice for 2-3 weekend trips before refill.

Amazon product ASIN B000P9Z21I

Good advice for eggs, too. Oil and eggs are both in containers you *really* don't want to leak.

I'm with @COChef . I always have salt and pepper, cajun, and an Italian mix in the cook box. I'll make something special ahead of time if needed for a particular meal. Really, we're talking about cooking in the woods. That alone makes a meal great, regardless of the 'perfect seasonings'...though I'm still working on accepting that!

I also found that a tubular toothbrush holder can hold 2 Victorinox paring knives perfectly. FYI, these inexpensive knives are flat out awesome. I have them at home for steak knives (the longer version) and kitchen utility knives. They sharpen easily and are very affordable. Definitely get something other than black for your camp box.
It's funny, I have the exact same spices in my kitchen supplies, all I ever really need. I also keep steak sauce around and Frank's Red Hot. Love the idea for the knives in the toothbrush holder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom