How do you keep secure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sure would be nice if times changed enough that auto manufactures didn't think cars needed door locks any longer.

Move out to the country - we rarely lock the house, and never lock our cars.

Move out to the country - we rarely lock the house, and never lock our cars.

Yeah, that's what we thought. Pasture gate, bells on the gate, keys dropped under floor mat.
So they quietly held the gate bells, opened the gate, popped the hood, stole the battery.....lowered the hood, left the door popped, quietly
closed the gate, holding the bells so as to not wake the dogs, snuck out. It was raining, and the house is
new and so soundproof you can't hear cars in the driveway. But don't let being in the country fool you
into false sense of security..

hidden in line kill switch only i know about. you would have to be psychic to find it. that keeps the 45 itself from running away.

as for things, i generally never leave anything of value in the 45 if i have to park somewhere sketchy. normally i juts leave the windows open as well. here in zim, people are suspicious by nature, so an unlocked car with open windows plays right to that :p
I have a fully restored 1974 FJ40 and had thought of a kill switch to keep it secure, would love to see pictures and parts to do this if you would be willing to share? Great idea

dsc01724-jpgd1j7r.jpg

View attachment 2061030

Secured the samba.com / Bosch switch pictures .
6713653-1.jpg

6713654-1.jpg

6713652.jpg

removed part of the switch ....
Nato-knochen_2.jpg

that´s why you see the ring on the switch in my dash pic.
..... put it in a snap hook at your car keys when you leave your truck/car.
1566124922458.jpeg

Last edited:
Take the rotor out the distributor on petrol models and unless the person trying to steal it no way will it start no matter how much they try to hot wire it. If they are under the hood any kill switches are useless. Few jumper wires and the coil is hot another one for the starter all the other wiring really doesn't matter.

If you have a 2F engine just pull the R clip that connects the throttle linkage to the carb. The engine will start and idle but no functioning throttle. No thief is going to sit there in a stolen vehicle trying to figure out what's wrong. If they intend to drive the vehicle it runs immediately or they run.
R-Clip.jpg

I’ve used a 5/8” Kryptonite Bike lock through the the steering wheel and around the front hoop it the 6-point family cage. It won’t help if they have a tow truck though.

I’ve got a couple of the other options listed... but I’ll tell ya in private, not post everything online. ;)

Rotor is a better option than just pulling the wire from the distributor.

Tracker hidden... or three. In the most difficult places imaginable.

I’d say insurance... but I’d be lucky to get 3k from our insurance here. Even though it’d cost 10x that to replace it.

I’ve got a couple of the other options listed... but I’ll tell ya in private, not post everything online.

That's the best method I've heard yet.

The PO had a nondescript pull type kill switch on the dash with other switches. Hidden in Plain sight

If I’m a little worried I throw transfer case in neutral. Lot worried I pull coil wire. Anymore worried than this and I take a different vehicle.

I use the Bosch switch since the beginning 80`s .. not only in LC trucks ...
The Bosch switch is a vintage one & I love it.
Military trucks used the Bosch switch , fire brigades used the switch, race & rally cars * used it and so on.
Cheers
* in a emergency to shut down the engine imedeately.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom