How do they do it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Malleus

Far west of Siegen
Threads
Does anyone have direct knowledge of how the brake systems are filled on the assembly lines? As many times as I've been in assembly plants, I never thought to ask. And the systems and methods for fillings non-sealed systems like engines, transmissions and differentials is different. I know that much.

I visited the MINI production line in Oxford, UK a couple of times and watched this process……

The entire brake system is complete, not sure which part of the production line as it loops around.

A fitting is then attached to the brake reservoir and a powerful vacuum applied (not sure how strong a vacuum).

Once all the system is in vacuum a pre-determined volume of brake fluid is automatically added at this station. The vacuum basically ‘sucks’ the fluid right through the system. The fluid doesn’t contact the atmosphere which is a good thing. The filling mechanism is removed.

The reservoir cover is fitted, job done.

A benefit of this - if there are any leaks the system won’t achieve full vacuum so the fault can be fixed immediately.

Ah, so. Any idea how they fill the ABS pump? It's a multivalve body, so not all of it is open to the system at any given time. Maybe there's a bypass or fill setting where all the valves are open?

I visited the MINI production line in Oxford, UK a couple of times and watched this process……

The entire brake system is complete, not sure which part of the production line as it loops around.

A fitting is then attached to the brake reservoir and a powerful vacuum applied (not sure how strong a vacuum).

Once all the system is in vacuum a pre-determined volume of brake fluid is automatically added at this station. The vacuum basically ‘sucks’ the fluid right through the system. The fluid doesn’t contact the atmosphere which is a good thing. The filling mechanism is removed.

The reservoir cover is fitted, job done.

A benefit of this - if there are any leaks the system won’t achieve full vacuum so the fault can be fixed immediately.

That's brilliant! Now someone needs to make an attachment for a HVAC pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom