how do I tell what carb it is? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

[quote author=Straylight link=board=1;threadid=8607;start=msg73663#msg73663 date=1071029840]
I take it than that the votes are in and that this will be a good carb for my 76 Fj40?

Anyone have an idea where I might get that accelerator circuit piece. Also, why are there two large fuel inlet ports? Is one inlet and one outlet, and if so, where does the outlet go?
[/quote]

Back to the tank.

[quote author=Straylight link=board=1;threadid=8607;start=msg73663#msg73663 date=1071029840]
I take it than that the votes are in and that this will be a good carb for my 76 Fj40?

Anyone have an idea where I might get that accelerator circuit piece. Also, why are there two large fuel inlet ports? Is one inlet and one outlet, and if so, where does the outlet go?
[/quote]

Dennis,
No, this is a bad downgrade for your '76. The stock or non-US 2F carb is 38/40 throttles and 31/35 venturis. The carb in the pictures is a 1974 F carb with 38/38 throttles and 28/31 venturis. The fuel return fitting has been hacked off and it's missing the fuel inlet fitting and the throttle arm. Throw that one back in the pond and get a '75-77 2F carb. It will have the right fuel fittings in the right locations and accept the big 2F air cleaner, plus it will have enough airflow for your 2F engine. LMK if you need help identifying a carb candidate.

HTH,
Jim Chenoweth
TLC Peformance
Lancaster, Ohio, USA
TLCA & MOLC #1914

I was about to post another commet until I saw that Jim posted. The biggest thing I saw was that it did not have the stud for the 2F AC so I assumed it was a late F carb. I have no idea about the wierd air port. I just dealt with one with the same thing. Just plug it and go. I used 5/8" heater hose and a large bolt.

I hope Jimposts more on this board, He is an asset to all of us. If you need a rebuild just mail him. It is not cheap nor is it fast but it is right. Actually better than right.

Jim has forgotten more about cruisers than most of us know.

That sound you hear is the carb splashing into the Lake. Done, gone, not gunna use it.

1st number=last number of the year of production
Letter= month of production
2nd number= day of production

IE: 8 K 21= 1978, November 21st

Obviously, the year code presents the only problem as it could be a 1958, 1968, 1978, or 1988. This is not as hard as it seems.
1950's and 60's= 1 barrel (except for the 3/69-9/69 which are completely different from all other carbs), 1970's= 2 barrel with either an air flow secondary or a vacuum secondary with only one vacuum device on the linkage side, 1980's = 2 barrel, vacuum secondary, two vacuum devices on the linkage side.

This info with the date codes should have you identifying carbs accurately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom