How do i start to solve my engine issues? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
capeq.com
i have a '01 100 series imported from Japan into the UK

Its a 4speed auto with the non vvti V8 - its done 62k miles! and its absolutely mint

Its been laird up in a garage for a couple of years, so i'm going through refreshing bits it needs- like an alternator, battery, new ACH globes, filters and fluid, under sealing, LPG kit etc

The main problem i'm trying to sold now is an engine hesitation/refusal to rev. Its particularly bad whilst running on LPG, but still there on petrol.

the symptoms are that it starts and idles perfectly smoothly and under no load, revs out perfectly.

Under load the engine has a really bad hesitation starting at 2.2k revs and finishing at about 3k revs- it revs really cleanly up until this point, and pulls well afterwards. Intermittently it then won't rev past 4.2k rpm. I've checked the EFI fuse and relay (replacing them both- the fuse box, from above looks mint). I've changed all 8 spark plugs AND Coils with genuine OEM (which improved things greatly, but its still not working).

On petrol it revs better, but still stumbles between 2.2k and 2.8k- it revs through, but hits 3k rpm and feels like its come on boost!

I have techstream, but don't know what to look for, or how to find out where errors are (I've only used techstream for AHC so far). There is no CEL. I'm not sure what to even search for on ih8mud !

Fuel/air/spark or ECM; something is messed up.

Pull battery cables and force a reset.

Clean MAF, make sure engine air filter is clean.

Replace fuel filter.

You're on the right track doing the overall tune up. If you can track A/F when it's hesitating that would be interesting

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom