How do I separate ‘70 seat sliders? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m looking to separate seat sliders from a 70 FST. There is much internal rust.

I’ve read where one would grind off a bump and the top slides apart. I see 4 bumps on the bottom rail but only 2 are accessible.

Can someone point out which humps must go. What does one do to recreate this bump? Thread it and fill with a short bolt?
0AA128B1-06F7-4D84-BEC7-D7D4BEA7843F.jpeg

9D2470C2-1558-46A9-9828-A395946E8673.jpeg

Thanks in advance.

hOOter

If they are locked up and you decide not to separate I suppose you could soak them in muriatic acid, outside and with a respirator and every so often and with good rubber gloves see if you can move the sliders. After they are free soak them in a warm solution of baking soda to neutralize the flash surface rust that will form very quickly. I would then use a heavy oil and lube them, followed by some copious amounts of fluid film. Then use a wax and grease remover and paint the exposed surfaces.

Appreciate the reply.
I was able to free them with vinegar soak and a rubber mallet. Of course they flash rusted.
They remain corroded through the internals.

Was hoping to separate them for a long term rust prevention. Surely someone has taken these apart....

Doubt many vintage truck forums have this level of professional tech support🍻

Courtesy of Mark's Off Road Burbank, CA

The nub must go. Find a round head screw the same size as the nub, Drill from the backside with a bit appropriate to the shank of the new screw, tack the new screw in when you're done cleaning the track, and grind flush.

One of the more esoteric tasks I've been paid to do.

And be careful what you wish for. Once the track is clean, you may find that the inner piece has worn down, or that the outer track has a groove in it, that you never noticed when the assembly was packed in...

rattle-canceling grease!
While I had my seat out in the Karma Cruiser, I drilled a second set of holes an inch or so behind the factory holes for the seat bottom to attach to the frame, and notched a new set of detents for the slider lock. I’m 6’3” and I found that helped a lot with leg room.

Here's the nub
DC6B4770-42BD-430B-806C-88E97F11389C.jpeg

Last edited:
Whoa. Exactly what I needed
Thanks for that. Your search abilities are better than mine

Fuzzy memory on how I separated the seat tracks so, went over to storage and grabbed the seat. Glad I did because two mouse traps had fresh kills. Rebaited 4 traps.

So I removed 3 of 4 stops on each track. I think I ground the 2 outer stops with a dremel EZ cut disc, not sure I even drilled them. Had to have drilled 1 of the inner stops. Not sure it matters but the front pair of stops were the ones I removed on each track.

Here you can see I just used a bolt head for the new stops. Ground a ramp on the bolt head.

D5CB82B7-EABE-454B-899D-B51EAAAC6ACC.jpeg

Scratched an F to indicate front of track.
C5616DC6-BF04-44C3-BE50-F274AAD389A8.jpeg

front pair of stops
E21C4F37-706B-4C0A-A405-3776EA9DBCCB.jpeg

rearward pair of stops
970000DF-7199-49EB-BA7D-B629F36ABCDA.jpeg

Last edited:
EXACTLY what I needed!!!

Thanks for going the extra effort for a complete stranger. I love knowing the MUD team.

hOOter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom