how do I restore window trim? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cerakote Ceramic Trim Coat Kit - Quickly Restores Plastic Trim.

Works pretty well on that trim. Mine looked similar to yours after a couple wipes of this stuff they look much better.

Amazon product ASIN B07SHJVK4G
This^^^

Phenomenal results on faded plastic parts and trim. Had it on for about 8 months so far and hasnt lost its shine yet. Where most trim brighteners fade out after a wash or two.

A couple options:

1. Just buy new. They are not very expensive and we're lucky to have them available.
2. Sand and paint. Use ~200 then 400 grit, followed by a general use black spray paint or VHT Epoxy maybe.

I bought a new one for my driver's door. I plan to buy new for all the others as I apply PPF to the doors. That trim is cheap and the new ones last a decade or more. Painting will be a much less durable solution.
Mr Clean pad and elbow grease also does the job.

For failing/worn plastic on the window belt molding? I didn't think you'd break through that top layer and reveal anything that would last. 🤷
You are certainly entitled to your opinion. My 2000 LC and 2004 Sequoia beg to differ. Lean into it.

When my belt window moldings was slightly faded and pitted "leaning into it" worked. Once they get as bad as pictured above, even a buffer and cutting compound didn't do it. New pieces on the way.

Last edited:
Back to the window belt moulding for a sec.... as @SL404 noted: the front pieces have a visible screw. The back door pieces don't. Do I just pry straight up to remove these? Or, is there a screw I missed? (that sounded like a bigger missed opportunity than I intended)

Well, that was easy. Thanks again @suprarx7nut!
1.png

Crazy how much impact those little trim pieces add or detract from the look of the truck.

Next up: Buff those vertical panels (again).

Last edited:
Well, that was easy. Thanks again @suprarx7nut!
View attachment 2607799
Crazy how much impact those little trim pieces add or detract from the look of the truck.

Next up: Buff those vertical panels (again).
great job, I'm about to order these parts myself. Do you by any chance have the part numbers?

is it this? looks like it on the parts diagram, but says "inner" which is throwing me off. I don't want to order 4 of the wrong thing!

6817060110WEATHERSTRIP ASSY, FRONT DOOR GLASS, INNER RH

Totally understand! I wasn't sure I had all the right parts 'til all four were installed.

Screen Shot 2021-03-08 at 6.53.13 PM.png

Woah, that looks awesome! The little things like that seem to make the biggest difference.
One of the most frustrating parts of my Supra restoration is that the moldings aren't all available new. I've done a 100% repaint on the car and I'm cringing hard putting the old worn moldings back on. I could only source about half. I can sand and repaint the old ones, but it's hard to compete with the true OEM stuff. It makes a huge difference.

One of the most frustrating parts of my Supra restoration...

But one of the best things is that it's a Supra - and not a Mustang, Camaro... or any of the other catalog cruisers. The good and bad of building/restoring something special!

Appreciate this thread! I placed my order last Friday (10/29) and I just received my order today (shipped from Dubai) and have already installed the molding. I did all 4 windows. It didn’t take very long. I ended up being pretty forceful with the old molding and absolutely bent it, but I was going to throw it away anyways so 🤷‍♂️

The new molding looks perfect.

After -
D73BA84B-2669-4690-B28B-F1EF0593DF5E.jpeg

Before-
A1F4859C-C497-4E33-8532-07FB5041D66A.jpeg

Thanks guys!

@TheForger - did you have any success touching up or repainting the additional metal trim around the windows? I'm having the same issue and trying to make a plan, and wondering what you ended up doing there, and what product(s) you used.

Hey all. I did the cleanup on my existing belts and the grime came off but with a clean surface, the metal is now exposed. And no, I didn’t scrub all the coating off, they’re aged

Anyways, pricing has gone up quite a bit on these and impex Japan only has three of the four belts.

Question, has anyone used any of the aftermarket ones that come in a set on eBay. I’ve seen they range from 65$ to 85$ but they’re generally coming form the same area in SoCal so methinks it’s the same source.

Anyways. That’s less than half the price and I know you typically get what you pay for but wanted to double check with this specific item.

Example link for reference

No experience with aftermarket. Just replaced mine yesterday with OEM. Was a bit more from partsouk, but man the look nice! Super easy to pull off and replace if you’re putting on new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom