How do I remove the starter? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It's a '97 FJ80 40th anniv. edition with 230K and it needs the solenoid contacts renewed. Or maybe some starter work too, but the solenoid for sure.

I finally figured out that the best access is by taking off the driver side front wheel, but I still can't get a wrench on those two 17mm bolts that hold it to the bell housing. Well, I can get a wrench on the lower one, but there isn't enough room to swing it.
Is there some special tool or trick? What will I find when I get it off?
thanks guys,
rScotty

It's been a decade since I last pulled mine, but I recall using a realllllly long set of extensions and a breaker bar, from the back (lying under the truck).

If there is an easier way, I don't know it.

EDIT: .... http://www.sleeoffroad.com/technical/tz_starter_rebuild.htm

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

It's a '97 FJ80 40th anniv. edition with 230K and it needs the solenoid contacts renewed. Or maybe some starter work too, but the solenoid for sure.

I finally figured out that the best access is by taking off the driver side front wheel, but I still can't get a wrench on those two 17mm bolts that hold it to the bell housing. Well, I can get a wrench on the lower one, but there isn't enough room to swing it.
Is there some special tool or trick? What will I find when I get it off?
thanks guys,
rScotty

I just removed mine yesterday and reinstalled this morning, and I have the big 2.2kw starter too. I used 2 3inch extensions on a 3/8 ratchet with a universal adapter for the top one, then the bottom I used a husky 3/8 drive rather with a swivel head and long extension handle. Took a good amount of maneuvering and patience but once they crack loose they're pretty easy to remove. I'd say the universal adapter made the job a ton easier.

Sent from my iPhone

Disconnect the battery first. Front used a long and short extension with a wobbly. The back is two long extensions. Back out the starter and turn sideways to take the hot wire off and unplug the small wire.

Or if you have air tools it gets the front with ease.

Comet.

For the front facing bolt I used a 1/2" drive impact wobble joint with a 6-8" extension and a long (~16") 1/2" drive flex head ratchet, working from the wheel well. IIRC I used the same tools to break the bottom bolt free from below.

Its not bad once you figure out the correct combination of extensions, flex joints and sockets. But you'll still swear plenty.:grinpimp: Hit them with some PB blaster too.

Agreed. I had to change mine outdoors... But in north Texas it hit 70 today :) I also soaked both bolts in an ATF/acetone mixture to help break them free, but used just enough for each bolt head so it wouldn't get to anything else.

Sent from my iPhone

Best tool is a Victor open ended wrench... No.. Your best bet as mentioned above is a combo of extensions and a swivel head with a 17mm socket.

hey need help. got the starter on 91 fj80 off fairly easy, however, getting the new one on has been an fbomb riddled pain. i cant lift and secure top nut with my hand to even start the bolt. ive tried from bottom also. any suggestions? i am not an especially good mechanic.

Curious on symptoms also. Mine works, but when I turn the key there is sometimes a delay, almost like it is hanging up.

Curious on symptoms also. Mine works, but when I turn the key there is sometimes a delay, almost like it is hanging up.

Do yourself a favor and install a jumper/test lead on the trigger wire for the solenoid :banana:

The next time it happens, check the voltage on the test lead as you crank.

If the voltage is low or zero, then it's either an ignition switch or neutral safety switch issue.

And if this happens to be the case, you can trigger the same jumper lead as an emergency start so you're not left stranded :cool:

I am the most mechanically inept person I know, but I managed to remove the starter and replace the contacts and plunger with the help of MUD. Thanks to everyone that provides advice and insite here. Maybe there's still hope for me after all....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom