How do I remove rounded bolt heads (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am stumped. I went to check the level of the trans. and transfer case fluids and both of the filler plugs are f'd up beyond belief. They are rounded and I can not budge them at all...can't even get a wrench to grab as the ends are gone. This is the first time I have checked them since I bought the truck. Anyway....does anyone have any ideas....tips for getting these things out so I can replace them with new ones? Yeah...I got ghetto and did the vise grip thing as a last resort but nothing. I got the tranny got and hot froma run and nothing. Are they seized...Am I screwed?

thanks in advance.

Use a chisel and a hammer to turn it, always works for me!

Dianna said:
Use a chisel and a hammer to turn it, always works for me!

Dianna method works good when you can get to it.

Use an impact socket of a smaller size and beat it on with a BFH and try removing it.

Sears makes a set of special sockets designed to remove bolts with rounded head.

If its still not moving you can weld the threaded end of a short bolt to the rounded head.

Phil

Vise-grips are for holding things while you weld them. Get out a pair of Channel-locks and those plugs will give in. Channel-locks will out turn vise-grips any day of the week. A pipe wrench is also a good option. The hammer/chisel method works too.

A piece of steel pipe as an extention on the handle of a pipe wrench or channel locks or vise grips with curved jaws will also help with this job.

So I can pound on the nut and not worry about cracking the t-case? I know not like a gorilla...but I was worried because it is cast aluminum...so i was not beating it up. I dont have a welder so I will try the channel lock...wrench method. If that doesnt work I will have to search out a welder. thanks a ton for the info.

tock13 said:
So I can pound on the nut and not worry about cracking the t-case? I know not like a gorilla...but I was worried because it is cast aluminum...so i was not beating it up. I dont have a welder so I will try the channel lock...wrench method. If that doesnt work I will have to search out a welder. thanks a ton for the info.

I reread your you post.....Paid attention to kind of bolt :doh: ...Dont beat on this hard!

The chisel hammer system will work

If you can't get them off, let me know. You can bring it by and I'll weld a nut on there for you as long as there's room to get to it. That's probably the toughest part.

For replacements, Napa should have them. I'm pretty sure I got mine form Coast to Coast.

Eric

Gator Grip

Buddy of mine brought over his Gator grip socket and it got a few nicely rounded ones out but not all of them due to frickin rust. Good luck.

I have had pretty good luck with cutting a slot in the bolt and then using a big ass socket flat head. Works real well if you have an impact driver.

all of the above. :D

I second

I second the replies stating you try a pipe wrench or channel locks.
However, another alternative would be to buy yourself a set of metrinch style sockets,... as they grab on the center (flat) portion of the hex, and not on the corners,... they will work unless your drain plugs are completely round.
Some people may not like metrinches, but they do come in handy,... unfortunately mine were stolen within a month of getting them.

Good Luck
WILL

You could cut a groove in them with a cut-off disc so they look like really big flathead srews and use the chisel in the afforementioned groove.

I wouldn't use a hot wrench, which, is what I was gonna say at first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom