How do I Remove front AHC shocks/rams (without destroying them) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm getting ready to overhaul my AHC system this weekend. Got all new globes from Impex, a can of AHC fluid, as well as upper and lower front shock bushings / cushions since mine are toast at ~250k miles. I want to make sure I have everything I need to get stuck in. A few questions:

1) I understand the top nut on the front shock is rather difficult to access given clearance issues with the bodywork. It looks like people who rip the system out just cut the top off. This isn't an option to me as I need to put the shock back in the car. I feel like I read somewhere that people had success using these angled wrenches from HF - Offset Metric Box End Wrench Set, 8 Pc. - https://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece-metric-offset-box-wrench-set-32042.html

Are those the correct ones? Or would something like this be better? Metric Flex-Head Combination Ratcheting Wrench Set, 5 Pc. - https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/wrenches/metric-flex-head-combination-ratcheting-wrench-set-5-pc-60592.html

Is that going to make things easier? Any other specialty tools I should have on hand to make it easy to remove the shocks?

2) Is there anything else I'm missing beyond basic hand tools / sockets / wrenches that I'll need for the job? I did buy a fan wrench that fits the globes, but can hammer and chisel if need be.

3) Is one can of AHC fluid enough for the job?

The front is easy. It's the rear that is hard to get to.

I've never replaced any of my AHC shocks but it took me 2 metal cans to flush my system and get clean no bubble fluid out when I bought it. A few months later I replaced the globes, I think I got by with 3ish quarts.

I’d recommend replacing the 2 piece seals where the fluid lines attach to the shocks

There's enough room from the engine bay to put an impact socket on it, just bend very thin sheet metal to clear the socket, then bend it back when you're done. If your truck isn't rusty, it'll zap right out, if your truck is rusty...sawzall is about the only option

I've never replaced any of my AHC shocks but it took me 2 metal cans to flush my system and get clean no bubble fluid out when I bought it. A few months later I replaced the globes, I think I got by with 3ish quarts.

Hm ok maybe I should get some extra

I’d recommend replacing the 2 piece seals where the fluid lines attach to the shocks

I actually ordered those last week. It's like an o-ring and a metal seal right? Are they easy to get in and out?

There's enough room from the engine bay to put an impact socket on it, just bend very thin sheet metal to clear the socket, then bend it back when you're done. If your truck isn't rusty, it'll zap right out, if your truck is rusty...sawzall is about the only option

Perfect that's what I needed to know thanks! Always been a California truck so no rust issues.

I actually ordered those last week. It's like an o-ring and a metal seal right? Are they easy to get in and out?
It’s an o-ring and a plastic ring that’s split so it can collapse and expand for installation. A little finicky but not hard

K cool got the seal / o ring parts

Another quick question - when installing the new globes, do I need a strap wrench? Or will I be able to get enough torque with a fan clutch wrench?

Should be able to get adequate torque with a fan clutch wrench when reinstalling the globes. Just use a chisel and hammer to remove the old ones.

Also make sure to bleed off ALL pressure prior to removing the globes.

Should be able to get adequate torque with a fan clutch wrench when reinstalling the globes. Just use a chisel and hammer to remove the old ones.

Also make sure to bleed off ALL pressure prior to removing the globes.

Cool thanks. Yeah I plan to drain the system completely from all 4 bleed screws as I'll be removing the front shocks/rams as well for bushing change

K cool got the seal / o ring parts

Another quick question - when installing the new globes, do I need a strap wrench? Or will I be able to get enough torque with a fan clutch wrench?

Huge torque is not needed at installation -- about 47 ft-pounds, probably could do that with two hands around the body of globe, best not to over-squash the o-rings, prevents them from working properly and results in leakage ....

AHC - Actuator and Globe Components.jpg

Huge torque is not needed at installation -- about 47 ft-pounds, probably could do that with two hands around the body of globe, best not to over-squash the o-rings, prevents them from working properly and results in leakage ....

View attachment 2958482
48 ft-lb for use with SST, 66 ft-lb otherwise.

Completed this job yesterday. It was a bit messy but really not that bad. If I hadn't been doing all the front shock bushings it would have been a sub 1 hour job to change the globes.

Here is my thread outlining my experience and process - Successful AHC refresh - my experience and quick writeup - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/successful-ahc-refresh-my-experience-and-quick-writeup.1279980/

Regarding the globes, I read somewhere that they were 111 ft-lbs or torque so I definitely over torqued them buuut hopefully that doesn't cause any issues.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom