How do I reattach my spare rim to the stock underbody spare tire holder? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've had a spare rim for my FJ62 for a while, but I've never put it on. I can't seem to budge whatever mechanism is supposed to hold the tire and rim in place. I've seen a few threads where folks have theirs on, but none on how it operates (and no OEM manual). How do I lower the bracket to hook it into the rim?

This is the bit I'm confused by:
tire_holder.jpg

Use your Jack handle to fit into that slot and turn it. Maybe use some penetrating oil also.

Yeah, some PB Blaster might be in order. Is that slot still accessible when the tire is mounted?
Yes it is. Take a look under the tailgate and you will see another slot that you slip the handle into...and then into the part in your picture.

By the way, am I imagining things or wasn't there a basket underneath the 62 which held the spare tire?? I bought my 62 new from the dealer and it had that basket tire carrier, not the chain mechanism at all. It rusted away over the years. Could that have been a dealer add-on??

What you are describing…I’ve never known to be stock, only the chain hoist pictured in post 1.

I had a 62 for a decade, bought it from the original owner. Chain hoist.

By the way, am I imagining things or wasn't there a basket underneath the 62 which held the spare tire?? I bought my 62 new from the dealer and it had that basket tire carrier, not the chain mechanism at all. It rusted away over the years. Could that have been a dealer add-on??
Sounds like some sort of add on or option. Let me try my Google fu

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom