How do I properly identify LatAm BJ40s 1975 and older? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rusto

SILVER Star
Threads
Cross-post from the Diesel Tech forum..

I spend a lot of time in the 60 tech section as I've had an '87 FJ60 for years and love it. Now I'm looking at acquiring a 40... which has led me to the 40 classifieds, the 40 & 55 tech forum, and the Diesel Tech Forum

I currently have my eye on a Latin American import BJ40 for the diesel.

My question - how are 75 and older BJs identified when they are from LatAm? I've seen the frame number, but no door or cowl tag. Do those exist? I've seen pics on some that have the cowl tag above where the heater would normally go and some don't have it. Is the fender tag present?

Any help on what to look for and where would be appreciated. It's already sketchy enough looking around for a BJ (poorly worded perhaps)...

Thanks.

Hi,
I assume the real difference in 1974/75 is a lack of the heater.
Toyota starts BJ40 production in Feb 1974. Not much produced in 1974
Few photos of the 1975 BJ (Costa Rica)
32E0EC54-83E6-4616-A5E2-4CA145455E1E.jpeg

6CBD5246-F372-4AE9-AB96-92667141912E.jpeg

Other markets had the heater
8296F981-468C-4245-90DA-60EE1B91B531.jpeg

nice. Good info for sure. I guess the main question. Other than the frame number stamped in the same place as ROW (and US spec), is there any other way to determine if the engine/tub/frame all came together from the factory? And do the LatAm models have color codes present somewhere for a 75?

FYI the thirst B diesel motor is a mixt between parts Toyota and parts Daihatsu
you can see a D of Daihatsu on the cover gears ( aluminum alloy) under the water pomp
normaly the thirst generation during 1974 haven't EDIC control
a the end of 1975 or during the year 1975 the EDIC control appears ( thirst model)

the model in picture is in 24v ( normaly for cold country) and there no heater it's curious
the air filter box is the thirst type, exist two other type later

Last edited:
FYI - everything I've found indicates no door tag, no cowl tag, and no fender tag - only the frame number to verify. I guess that's what is needed on the title as well.

Feel free to correct... now, to source a heater for a 24V FJ40...

in Europe , number on the frame ,
and also number (tag) graved on a plate aluminum , front fender , side passenger ,
under the lower fixation of air filter box , this plate is easy to remove because the two fixations are screws !
one exemple:
IMG_2137.JPG

Thanks @vikor . that's the same as it is in the US, and the same for my 60. Although older 40s in the US don't have color codes on any tags.
The LatAm models just don't seem to have an abundance of identifying tags.

FYI the thirst B diesel motor is a mixt between parts Toyota and parts Daihatsu
you can see a D of Daihatsu on the cover gears ( aluminum alloy) under the water pomp
normaly the thirst generation during 1974 haven't EDIC control
a the end of 1975 or during the year 1975 the EDIC control appears ( thirst model)
The thirst...? First?

Anyway, I can found several D (Daihatsu) markings on my 1981 3B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom