how do i mount recovery shackles? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i'm building a bumper right now for my 40, and i want to hang a couple of these off the front.
how do i go about mounting these things on? am i going to have to fabricate my own nice little mounts from inch thick steel? or can i buy some somewhere?

sh.gif

Your going to have to make them. I looked everywhere for a set for the rear of my 40. I ended up going to a machine shop and having a set made for $20. A friend of mine welded them on the rear.

Might want to consider the hell for stout bumper CCOT sells. It has the D-rings already mounted. Bumper is nice too.

http://store.yahoo.com/coolfj40/newproducts.html

that IS a nice bumper...whatever you do, make sure the tabs you use are designed so they are inserted into the bumper, then welded on both the inner and outer sides. Lots of added strength that way.

good thinking.
the bumper i'm building is based of the hell stout. i didn't go with 3/8 steel for the c-channel because i thought it was overkill. the mounting plate is 3/8, and i think for the anchor shackles i'm going to bend some 3/4 cold rolled into little u shapes and weld both ends on the bumper. then i'll run the anchor schackles through thouse. this seems easier than trying to manipulate 3/4 inch plate or something. i'll include a drawing or something.

something like this.  I think the two bolts running through the frame and the two in front (grade 8) should be sufficient.  the shackles will be mounted right in front of the frame rails to give best strenght
dumb.jpg

Looks like a great design to me. Being round, far less likely to put shear forces on anything if you had to pull sideways.
How do you bend 3/4 round stock into that small a radius? &nbsp:Do you heat it or is there some kind of Mongo mandrel or bender??
Ed Long

thats a good question,.
i think i'm going to take a piece of the 3/4 and throw it in the vice so it's standing verticle. i'll then find some way to hold one end of the 3/4 piece i'm going to bend (maybe i'll have it in the vice too (perpendicular to the verticle piece) and bring that baby to red hot and try to hammer it around. if i have any luck with bending it i think i might try to make a couple of rings out of the 3/4 and use that instead of the anchor shackles. i'll take some pictures of the process if i find something that works.

I made a bending jig for bending flat stock when I was fabbing seat mounts over the gas tank. I cut 2 pieces of 1/2" round stock about 3" long and welded them to a short piece of 1/4" steel. They are parallel and about 3/8" apart. Now these dimensions are for what I was bending, but you get the idea.
Anyway, I clamped the thing in my vise and was able to cold bend, by hand the seat supports. If you used some black pipe with the 3/4" outside dimensions, spaced them about7/8" apart, then you could heat your 3/4" round to red hot and bend a perfect 3/4" inside radius. I'd leave your piece long and heat it up about3-4" from the end, take your time and heat it evenly so you get an even bend, cut that off and start again for the second one. &nbsp:Does that make sense?
Ed :)

i wish i would have thought of that. you have a great idea.
do you think 3/4 hot rolled would be strong enough? or do you think the cold rolled is the ONLY way to do it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom