how do I loosen the smog pump so i can move the belt? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

loosen or remove the bolt(9)that goes thru the adjusting bracket and into the smog pump, its the one facing the radiator

down by the motor mount, loose the long bolt(12), it needs a wrench on both ends or it will just spin

thats it, it may need a bit of a pry to get it to move. Chances are its seized up, you can gut the pump, replace the pump or get a smog pump eliminator kit(its just a pulley) The same belt also turns the waterpump.......so you need to have something there.

048D1.gif

Here's another drawing.
The bolt on the left is the lock bolt. Loosen it.
The long bolt on the bottom is the pivot bolt. Loosen it a tad.
The bolt on the right is the adjuster. Loosen it to move the pump in.
image.png

I was trying to remember if the 60 had the adjuster or not....I have a Jim C pully on mine. my 82 fj40 still has the pump and is like the SOR pic, no adjuster...which I always thought was odd because everything else is the same(like belts, etc) as the 60

ah..I see the bracket is different between the 2, but I can't imagine why

EDIT to say......I must be loosing it today....the 82fj40 has the adjusting bolt just like the 60.....I just left it off at somepoint ;)

Last edited:
loosen or remove the bolt(9)that goes thru the adjusting bracket and into the smog pump, its the one facing the radiator

down by the motor mount, loose the long bolt(12), it needs a wrench on both ends or it will just spin

thats it, it may need a bit of a pry to get it to move. Chances are its seized up, you can gut the pump, replace the pump or get a smog pump eliminator kit(its just a pulley) The same belt also turns the waterpump.......so you need to have something there.

048D1.gif
If i get a smog pump eliminator do i need to remove anything else?

so if i get the smog pump eliminator for my fj60 i dont need anything else? it doesnt need to be desmogged?

Yes. It just won't pass a smog test.
The smog pump pumps air into the exhaust to add oxygen to it... To allow the catalytic converter to work better.

You will probably want to get a new belt but that's about it. Remove old pump, replace with smog pump eliminator. Your fine in WA , 25(or 20, can't remember ) years old is emmison exempt.

Is it really that simple? I thought I had read if smog pump removed other desmog elements had to be tackled or there were future engine running issues? Theres a lot of info out there and it can be hard to reconcile some of it

some say you need to remove the PS pump to be able to get the smog pump out but I had no problem getting the smog pump out without removing anything else, mine was fully smog-ed at the time and I didn't change anything else. same belt fits. You can get a cap for the open port on the air cleaner or put some duct tape over it.

getting the old smog hoses off the pump may be the hardest part, they are cooked on there....I gave up and took a saw to them ;)

Nope.
The smog pump can be swapped with an idler pulley. Done.

The EGR valve can be disconnected or removed, but the distributor will have to be recurved to retard the timing.

The cat can be replaced with a straight pipe if you want a noisy, stinky exhaust with a little less back pressure.

All the other things are just asthetics. You won't get better power or mpg. Just less clutter in the engine bay.

Some items that can go under the category of "smog" parts are good things to keep and shouldn't be removed.

HAC system, HAI system, Choke Opener operation, EVAP system, HIC valve, Distributor venting VCV.

All those yards of vacuum hoses in the engine bay are not evil. Most of them them help the engine run better.

Nope.
The smog pump can be swapped with an idler pulley. Done.

The EGR valve can be disconnected or removed, but the distributor will have to be recurved to retard the timing.

The cat can be replaced with a straight pipe if you want a noisy, stinky exhaust with a little less back pressure.

All the other things are just asthetics. You won't get better power or mpg. Just less clutter in the engine bay.

Some items that can go under the category of "smog" parts are good things to keep and shouldn't be removed.

HAC system, HAI system, Choke Opener operation, EVAP system, HIC valve, Distributor venting VCV.

All those yards of vacuum hoses in the engine bay are not evil. Most of them them help the engine run better.

Appreciate the response, smog pump has been sitting on the garage floor for a while with me trying to decide between a "desmog" or having the thing rebuilt or picking up a used one. Id like to get it going again before Christmas so the jim C idler pulley just might be the ticket for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom