1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Do I Know Spindle Bushings are Bad?

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by supercarrera, Feb 24, 2007.

1. supercarrera

supercarrera I Like LEDs

I pulled my spindles and looked at the bushings. One was dry and scratched. The other is scratched also. I think the dry one was causing noise and vibrations that I was experiencing on the way back from Death Valley. Should I automatically replace it? I guess so. But it doesn't look much worse than the other one. Maybe I should replace both.

2. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

look at the grooves that are on the inside of the bushing. You want to see some wear in there which is evident when the grooves change depth. If the grooves remain a constant depth then it's most likely fine.

When I had this problem I cleaned the bushings by wiping them out with a rag soaked in light machine oil. I then wiped them dry with some shop towels and packed them with moly grease. That was almost 100k ago with an axle job in between.

3. Tools R Us

Tools R Us

Slip the birf into the spindle and see how much play there is. There should be some play and both should be the same, if one has more play, there's your problem.