How do I I.D. 'MY' H55F? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I already have one and I want to rebuild it before I install it.........It came together with a big shaft transfer case, Aussie I think.................

The problem is when you want to order a rebuild kit they want specific date splits

I even contacted Kurt @ CO(who I'll probably get the kit from!) and he couldn't tell me how to identify the difference

So what is the difference? Is it just one bearing? Which one?

Are there any identifying casting numbers or date/VIN stamps on it anywhere?

Any and all help is appreciated :beer:

Last edited:
Beautiful! Thanks! :beer:

And actually, if you go on the CO website, the transfer case shafts changed 4/86 and the trans changed 11/85....................

so it's a no-brainer

Good to know info, can always count on Jim for that :wrench:

Trans added the spacer in 4/85 not 11/85. I had a 4/85 60 and it had the spacer.

Dynosoar:zilla:

...I even contacted Kurt @ CO(who I'll probably get the kit from!) and he couldn't tell me how to identify the difference...

I couldn't? I vaguely remember the call but I think you were asking how to tell without having the transmission opened up. Sadly to my knowledge there isn't a way to tell based on outward appearance alone. However I have all the part number for the different kits we offer.

The only differences I've noted are the input seal, the 82-85' H55F uses the standard input seal found on H41/H42's of that vintage while the 85-90' H55F uses something different. Along with that the input front bearing is different, the earlier uses 90365-40002 and the later uses a 90365-40035. I could pull those bearings from the kit and get the actual manufacture numbers off of them if needed, but either way a trans will have to be disassembled at least partially.

Jogging my brain here, if you pull the front input retainer/cover from the trans, could you read a number on the bearing? Worth a try?

We've usually gone by the transfer case when deciding what to use, but as with anything it could have been swapped or sold as a loose tranny and bolted into a different year application. Keep that in mind.

Split Transfer Case Variations:
Cruiser Outfitters

Trans added the spacer in 4/85 not 11/85. I had a 4/85 60 and it had the spacer.

Dynosoar:zilla:

Unfortunately its not that resolute... We've found ~9 months of derivation on the spacer addition. Anywhere from roughly 3/85-12/85 could realistically go one way or the other. By later in 85' it was pretty much guaranteed to have the spacer, but we have found what seems to be original combo's that were in later rigs. These date ranges are based on the vehicles build date, not the actual build date of the transfer case.

This is an excellent transmission resource. I hope my H55 + split case from AU was from between 4/86 and 1/90.

Well I've ID'd my transfer case as per the JimC method and it's 8H3314
which translates to August 88.........

numbers stamped right by the PTO opening, plain as day after a scotchbrite/brake cleaner rub down

It is together with the trans and doesn't appear to have ever been separated or apart............

Sweet :beer:

I'm on my way..............

now if I can just figure out the low range ratio

by that date, it should be 1.99:1

suck

:crybaby:

thanks for the info.................taht's kinda what I thought it might be...........

now if I can just figure out the low range ratio

Count the teeth on the large (low range) gear on the transfer output shaft. My 1.99 transfer has 40 teeth. If it has 43 teeth it's the lower range of the two stock offerings.

Good info.......................can't wait to get into this thing

:beer: to all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom