How do I get the front WARN locking hub off to access the brake cylinders ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The pics say more than I can about this. How do I get this off? I’ve taken the 6 bolts off. It won’t budge.

image.jpg

The pics say more than I can about this. How do I get this off? I’ve taken the 6 bolts off. It won’t budge.

View attachment 2209569

Grab a Haynes Manual or FSM and do some research. It’s not necessarily a hard job but there are steps that need to be taken. There are a handful of videos about knuckle rebuilds on YouTube that show it apart.

The brake rotor(not cylinder) is attached to the spindle via the lug studs. The entire spindle needs to be removed to separate and replace.

Grab a Haynes Manual or FSM and do some research. It’s not necessarily a hard job but there are steps that need to be taken. There are a handful of videos about knuckle rebuilds on YouTube that show it apart.

The brake rotor(not cylinder) is attached to the spindle via the lug studs. The entire spindle needs to be removed to separate and replace.

yeah in the videos after taking the Locking hub bolts off, it just comes out. Mine moves like 1/4 inch and seems to be 2 bolts holding it on.

Those are the locator pins at the hub housing. The locking hub itself needs to be separated in half.

The head of the locking hub is about 1/2” thick, and it WILL come off once the six bolts are removed. Then you need a snapring plier to release the clip from the birfield. THEN the rest of the locking hub will come off.

For the record, you don’t need to do ANY of that to service the brakes, unless the drum is frozen to the hub housing. And that is usually the fault of the last person who worked on it not being thorough in their prep before reassembly.

Last edited:
Like Mark said, you don‘t need to take the hub off to get to the cylinders. First, make sure the cylinders are adjusted down as far as they can go. If you are still having a hard time getting the drum off, get some heat onto the drum with a torch to get it to expand a little off the shoes and the drum should pull off.

I bet I know the problem, well, maybe. First, take a picture of the area around the center of the brake drum. If the hub has a bunch of paint or old hardened dirt on it the drum will not come off as the clearance is very close. Anything in the way will stop it. Take your time. I had to use 1" wide fine emery cloth and work it all around like shinning shoes. Even then the lugs can pose a little problem.

Like Mark said, you don‘t need to take the hub off to get to the cylinders. First, make sure the cylinders are adjusted down as far as they can go. If you are still having a hard time getting the drum off, get some heat onto the drum with a torch to get it to expand a little off the shoes and the drum should pull off.

so I would pull off the hub connected to the brake drum as one piece?

so I would pull off the hub connected to the brake drum as one piece?

No, just the drum will come off. It will slide off the hub. The drum looks like the picture below. The hub fits through the hole in the middle. The drum is all you need to get off to get to the cylinders. Getting heat on the drums helped me get them off. I had to wear thick gloves so my hands didn’t get burned but it worked great. Also, give the drums some smacks with a rubber mallet to loosen it a little from the hub. Like @scoutingranch said, some crud on the hub can easily stop the drum from sliding off.

Keep after it. You’ll get it. Just be more stubborn than the drum!!

Again, make sure your cylinders are backed all the way down so the shoes are not up against the drum.

43A3B0D4-D140-4F5F-BF27-ED4F4A85D335.jpeg

No, just the drum will come off. It will slide off the hub. The drum looks like the picture below. The hub fits through the hole in the middle. The drum is all you need to get off to get to the cylinders. Getting heat on the drums helped me get them off. I had to wear thick gloves so my hands didn’t get burned but it worked great. Also, give the drums some smacks with a rubber mallet to loosen it a little from the hub. Like @scoutingranch said, some crud on the hub can easily stop the drum from sliding off.

Again, make sure your cylinders are backed all the way down so the shoes are not up against the drum.

View attachment 2210365

thanks just the info I was looking for!

/^^^\
Yes, remove this screw if you have it, but after all these years...not all 40’s have it anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom