How do I get the crankshaft timing gear off? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, I finally got the crankshaft pulley off and pulled the cam. The lash on the crankshaft gear and camshaft timing gears is excessive to say the least. The thrust plate to camgear tolerance was completely crazy, so I ordered a new gearset, thrustplate etc... The problem is I cant get the crankshaft timing gear off the crank. How do you get the crank pulley key out off the crank? I assume I need to get this out before I pull the gear b/c w/out doing so the gear wont pull off. Any help would be appreciated. Also what type of puller should I use? The one I used to pull the crankshaft pulley doesnt work.

Mike

To get the pulley out: Try grabbing the key with a pair of visegrips and tap on the visegrips with a soft mallet. If that doesn't work, take triangular file - one with a point on the edge and file a small groove in the end of the key close to the shaft. The groove will give you a place to seat a screwdriver blade Tap on the screwdriver trying to lift the grooved end of the key out of the slot. As for the timing gear itself, get a real gear puller and the gear will slide right off. An engine rebuild is the perfect excuse to buy all the tools you ever wanted. The money that's not going to a mechanic can go into your toolbox. Even if you think you'll never need it again, the piston ring compressor is worth its weight in gold.

60wag,
Thanks for the advice, but I still cant get the f@#*ing off! Is the bottom of the pully key round like the woodruff key on the gear? I cant even get it to move. All I have successfully done is bugger up all the edges nicely! What would happen if I just replaced the cam gear only? Ahh cruisers.

Mike

[quote author=offcamber40 link=board=1;threadid=6205;start=msg50075#msg50075 date=1065995725]
60wag,
Thanks for the advice, but I still cant get the f@#*ing off! Is the bottom of the pully key round like the woodruff key on the gear? I cant even get it to move. All I have successfully done is bugger up all the edges nicely! What would happen if I just replaced the cam gear only? Ahh cruisers.

Mike
[/quote]

No, the crank pulley key is symetrical. sp? It is flat on the bottom, like it is on top.

I think that you may need to persuade it a bit more.... It will come out. I have needed to replace the key before. Sometimes they come out nice, other times, they are a total pain.

Be persistant, it will come out.

I would not recomend replacing only one gear, and running a mixed set. I am sure that there are people who have done that with no issues, but you have this tore down to this point, do not start cutting corners. Do it right the first time, and you will not have to worry about it again.

Good luck!

While you are at the timing gears note the oiler that oils the gears. If this has never been removed DON'T remove it. The reason is if you remove it and over tighten it the plate that it is attached can be pushed out causing a leak doen the road.. This tip was given to me by a landcruiser mechanic. While I was doing my rebuild he told me this multiple times. Not all of the manuals show the oiler. If you have removed it reinstall it so that it points at the gears but isn't bottomed out, then restake it. :cheers:

Ok, I finally got the stupid timing gear key off and pulled the gear. The crank is off to the machine shop for a regrind and to pull the pilot bearing that I massacred with my dremel trying to unnsuccessfully remove that! Anyway, how do I press the timing gear back on.. the new ones came in today. Can I just tap it on with a block of wood and a hammer or something?

Thanks

Mike

I pressed mine back on..or I should say my nephew did at the high school auto shop. Your machine shop can probably do it for you.
I broke the one on my tractor using the wood and mallet combo. It was the last wack that broke it.

[quote author=petescoffee link=board=1;threadid=6205;start=msg53853#msg53853 date=1066854135]
It was the last wack that broke it.
[/quote]

Isn't it always :D :D :D

How do you re-stake threads?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom