How do I get an air line to my driveway? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,
My air comp is in my basement and I can move it but it is a huge PIA to move, and it uses a 240 plug so I am limited as to where I can plug it in. So what I would like to do is run a line in my basement and shoot a hole outside with a air line hook up in the driveway and garage. The run from the comp to the garage/driveway area is about 65ft. How do I do what I want to get done, any ideas?

Thanks,
Zack

cheapest/easiest would be to get a 100ft rubber hose to run out there whenever you need it... but you probably thought of that already.

do a search for metal air hoses, you could get a bigass hammerdrill, pound a whole through your foundation, bury a line over to your driveway/garage, and then bring it up to the surface. if it's coming up in the dirt, you could just get one of those sprinkler boxes (the black ones with the green lid) and have your female coupler in it. then just pop the lid off and connect your air hose. if it's coming up through cement it gets more difficult.... but still doable.

Run copper line and leave a quick connect outside with an on/off ball valve. Then when you need it, hook a rubber hose as long as you need. depending on your place you could try to mount the copper fitting as close to driveway as possible. I know there are ways to get plumbing through walls, a good DIY manual or hire a plumber for that part of it.
Cheap way if you have windows is just run a long rubber hose. Use big diameter since you'll lose flow/pressure due to the length

Be sure the pvc pipe has a rated working pressure that is at least 25 % above the output of your compressor. Turns in non-flexible pvc pipe do not have the same working pressure as straight pipe. Look at working pressure, not burst pressure. There is also pvc air hose that you could use instead of rubber. Just google pvc air hose and you should find the info you are looking for.

Rob

Well the simple idea is to run rubber hose, would that be bad? Will I lose pressure with rubber hose?

Zack

People run Sch 80 PVC for air lines all the time. Plants and garages and shops.

Best to run is black iron pipe, then sch 80 pvc. Or thats what I learned when I worked at a plumbing supply for 2 years.

Rubber hose would be easiest but didnt sound like what he wanted(something permanent)

I also agree with the valve box idea (sprinkler box stated above) Just make sure there is plenty of gravel in the bottm to keep it from filling with water.

I want to do a perm install but I don't know that my skills wil allow me a do a perm install.

Zack

You should be able to do it. Hardest part will be digging or trenching the ditch. And drilling a hole in your foundation. Should not be an issue.

Sch 80 is very easy, just make sure all your fittings are sch80 as well!

Steve C said:

I did not see anything in the mud thread about Sch80. 80 is different than Sch40.

I saw a few notes in the osha article but nothing specific for Sch80. Yes we had people used Sch40 for air lines but we definately tried to talk them out of it.

Best option is Black Iron pipe. Its not that much harder to use. Just have to make sure you do not have any leaks with Better Bubbles. (or just uise soap and water)

Maybe your best bet is rubber lines? It would be nice to have a place where you could just plug in your line, but you will have to turn the comp on anyways. So a rubber line might not bee too bad.

What about running a hard line over to your outside wall. (Go through the foundation or wall) and just have a plug right on your outside. ??

Might be a little easier etc.

If you're going to hire a plumber to run air lines outside into your driveway or garage, why not just hire an electrician to run 240 to your garage and move the compressor out there instead?

If you are out in the garage working, a constantly running air/comp will get pretty old for whoever is sitting inside. It will also allow you a lot better access to the unit while you are working.

Steve C said:

Well I guess I wont use crestline pipe for air. :) I am just telling you what peopel run in the real world.

If it was me and I had an option I would run black iron. Then Sch80 PVC.

I second the just moving th ecompressor, unless you are cramped for space in the garage and the basement isnt used. Although it would seem to be agrivating with the noise level. But that is something you will have to judge.

How far of a distance are we talking about?

89s rule said:
I am just telling you what peopel run in the real world.

I think that the problem with ridgid pvc used for plumbing is that if it cracks it will tend to shatter from the pressure of the gas. Like alot of things, just because it is commonly done dosn't mean that there are not unnecessesary risks involved.

Here's a flexible PVC air hose, and the price is right:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...?storeId=6970&productId=200266974&R=200266974

1/2 inch (or larger) is a good idea, because I'm assuming you have a single stage compressor. If this is the case, your tank pressure wont be much higher than 100 psi, which means you don't want to take alot of pressure loss through the air supply tube. You may consider putting a regulator at the point of use and setting the regulator at the compressor higher than normal.

If it's going to be under ground, I don't see any problem with PVC pipe. The biggest problem with PVC is it can't handle vibration, so a soft line is needed at each end. For a 65' run you need at least 3/4" hard line and a short 1/2" soft line to connect on the compressor end with full flow connectors for good flow. If run under ground the pipe will cool the air causing condensation, you will need a low area in the line with a drain valve or it will fill up with water.

89s rule said:
Well I guess I wont use crestline pipe for air. :) I am just telling you what peopel run in the real world.

I second the just moving th ecompressor, unless you are cramped for space in the garage and the basement isnt used. Although it would seem to be agrivating with the noise level. But that is something you will have to judge.

How far of a distance are we talking about?
Best option is Black Iron pipe.

actually the best material for air line is a min rate of L copper tubing in at least 3/4 inch size... WONT RUST at all or candinsate as BAD as black iron..

IF there is a chance you'll breath it..(VERY unlikely unless you start spaying enough cars to warant a freash air supply.. then your nieghbors might complain.. ) it has to be 100% silver soddered..

a question I have is how if it is under the ground how are you going to drain out the waterr in the line unless you angle it back into the house?? and have a petcock in your basement?

Zack1978 said:
Well the simple idea is to run rubber hose, would that be bad? Will I lose pressure with rubber hose?

Zack

Yes.

Bigger diameter hose will limit the pressure loss. You would want to have a regulator at the end of the hose (they make small ones that go between the hose and your tool for painting). that way you would just set the pressure high in the hose (125), then with the tool running adjust the hose-end regulator to 90psi (or whatever your tool needs) to make sure you are getting enough pressure. With a tool that requires REAL high flow you could potentially run into problems where you may have the psi but not the cfm through the hose. For most tools I think it would be fine.

Copper pipe is REAL easy to work with. I plumbed my whole shop. After my first joint (which I screwed up on, but learned from it) I didn't have a single soldered connection leak. Get a tubing cutter, torch and solder and go to town.
Copper is also better at heat transfer than iron, so it will cool the air better.

The comments on having a slope to the pipe with a drain fitting at the lowest point is very important. For that reason I wouldn't bury the pipe, it would be hard to drain it. You should have a drain at the bottom of the line that runs from the compressor up the basement wall. If you run a line along the house it is best to have it run downhill and put a drain at the far end since the airflow will help push the water that way anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom