How Do I clean up Locking hubs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

Im doing a resto on a HJ47 ute, and I am now to a point where I want to clean up the chrome hub pieces? and I have no idea how to get the rust petina of them? If its not easy or cheap I will just paint them, but even then I dont know how to paint it.

I am also about to do the lock mechanism as well, do people suggest I separate and paint red and black?

Thanks for any advice.

There are a couple of different ways to clean that up. You can use a steel wool pad with metal or chrome polish. You can also use a balled up piece of aluminum foil with polish. Both have worked really well for me.

There is a product called Evapo-Rust that will remove the rust. Simply soak the part in it for an hour or so and poof! rust is gone. It runs about $30 a gallon and is carried by several chain stores.

There are a few threads on the site re: restoration of Warn locking hubs. Do a search and you'll likely find a few of them. There was even a guy with a thread who was restoring them for around $50 or $75 a piece, although that was a few years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom