How difficult to paint this? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

85roktoy

SILVER Star
Threads
The paint job on my 77 from the “restoration” 12 or so years ago is a 7 out of 10 at best. It recently started to chip/flake here below the drivers door. You can see the primer beneath but it didn’t adhere well for some reason. Feels very thin.

Is this something I could tackle myself if I got a good match? I’m thinking tape it off at the seams, remove step, sand down and spray? Never used a spray gun before. What are my options? Not looking for show room quality.

35E26AE2-2451-45F2-ABD7-0A7210F23C51.jpeg

C947C8C5-6012-4289-947B-9791515549F5.jpeg

F65BB11C-D66C-4996-A9B7-8AFC0FF25B6A.jpeg

What you describe will work fine but the color match may always look a little “off”. Maybe you can get a small amount mixed up in a touch up pen or brush-bottle and just touch up that small spot? Depends on the end result you want: touch up being an easier but less attractive fix or refinish being more involved but better looking?

Thanks Skreddy. I’m just afraid it will continue to chip away. More came off when I hit it with the water hose this past weekend.

You could take a paint chip to your local paint shop (if you have one) and have them match it, and mix up some in a spray can. I've done this a few times, and have had good luck with it.

BLUF: you could try and get a good-enough match out of a spray can from Cruiser Corps (no affiliation, I'm just not aware of anyone else that puts Toyota codes in an aerosol).

Agreeing with @Skreddy , color match is going to be difficult - especially with red which oxidizes pretty quickly IF (and I'm no paint expert, so others might chime in if they have more professional paint-booth-type experience) it's not put down well, and top coated with suitable coats of a quality UV resistant clear - but if you're not looking for showroom, and the chips really bother you, you can certainly touch it up.

If it were me (and TBH I have done this with parts of my current project where I've chipped some thing or another on install, or with small parts that I don't want to get the entire paint mixing, compressor, touchup gun out...), I'd try Cruiser Corps spray paint that comes in OEM colors. Assuming the red that is on there is a Toyota color (does it match the color code that's on the build plate in the engine compartment or driver's door jamb?), you can get probably as close as you're going to with those spray paints.

In my experience doing that and putting those parts next to the actual PPG 2k color 857, topped with a quality 2k clear, you'll have to do more coats (THIN ONES) from the spray can to get the deep color of professional paint. Also still need to topcoat it with a clear (I've used whatever spray is available at my local box store, and I've used Eastwood's 2k spray clears (they make a 2-component in a spray can that, while not as good as a true mix, is not bad...) to get the depth in the paint that was presumably a two part system when applied to the resto.

Again, I'm NOT body and paint guy, and there are P-L-E-N-T-Y of spots on my truck where I wish I'd have taken more time, but mine's not a Concours vehicle either. I am happy for it to look OK, and be back to its original Toyota hue.

All that is to say, if you wanna get some red on there, yeah sand/feather out around the edges of the chips until you get some paint that has adhered, try to spray some can and top it with some canned clear and see how that treats you. I think you'd have better luck there than the touch up pens.

HTH,
Trav.-

I think your best bet would be to work with a paint shop. They would be better able to evaluate the condition of the paint. It may be starting to flake in that one area today but next week or next month who knows.

It is starting to flake along the edge because an edges many times doesn’t get as good adhesion. Harder to sand and thinner prime are possible culprits on an edge.
I would sand that spot far enough to each side that you are comfortable that what is left is not going to continue to flake. Then prime it well, sand again to help blend. Then spray it with your aerosol matched can. You should then be able to wet sand enough to blend it. I would tape off a big enough area that you can blend with surrounding paint. Several coats will give an equal depth as the surrounding paint.

Concerning color match, take it to a ppg supplier and tell them you need a prophet gun reading of the color. It's a little gizmo that'll scan your color and through a process of black magic and wizardry spits out a color formula to "match" your color. The same ppg supplier can then sell you said color in any variety you like, including the spray can. I'd nearly guarantee that cruiser corps is sourcing their paint through ppg anyways as their spray cans contain Omni which is a ppg product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom