How did I get water in my rear end (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I put new gear oil in the rear end last fall, went on 1 trip where I forded about 30 " of water. Other than that it basicley sat all winter.

I decided to pull the cover and check on the welded rear end, WOW about 2 cups of water came out, I have extended the vent with 1/4" vacume tube so it vents behind the dash befor ever driving it.

How did I get water in my rear end :confused: eany ideas.

could be a number of reasons... are you sure you extended hose is tight? are there any holes you may have missed? is there a leaky seal?
When a hot/warm axlemeets cold water it will create a vacume and suck water in.

You need to extend the breathers on your axles if you are going to make a habit of driveing through deep water. You can buy a kit (marlin Crawler just put one out I think) or just pull off the the cap on the breather, get a length of hose and a hose clamp, and then run it up high (mine is going through the floor in the rear, but I run with no top, smell might be a proplem other wise) and put a cheap breather from PepBoys or something on the top of your hose.

condensation...

usually when i get water in my rear end its cuz im not puckering hard enough in the pool;p

All brand new hose was used and the connection is tight I was extremly careful when running the hose not to pinch it etc.

The left rear seal was leaking just berely, not even enough to drip. I to was thinking condensation but man thats allot for for no more time than was on that gear oil. Is it possible that the vent line is too long.

Eany thoughts ! :beer:

I do have 2 new axle seals ready to be installed tomorrow.

could be a number of reasons... are you sure you extended hose is tight? are there any holes you may have missed? is there a leaky seal?
When a hot/warm axlemeets cold water it will create a vacume and suck water in.

Yep. And if the vent line is not free flowing enough, water can be sucked in past the seals. I don't buy that condensation is going to put two cups of water into an axle in that short of a time span. That's a lot of water even over a long period of time.

when the axle is warm and you hit cold water it creates a vacum inside the housing . so if everything is not tight or vented properly its gonna draw in water make sure your vent line is tight. clamp it on run it high enough good luck

forgot to add if there is any leakage around pinion seal or axles seals it will leak in there also again good luck

Go talk to any frog, they seem to have this problem solved. :D

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Come on, you know you were thinking it too. :lol:

Jeff

HA HA
Next time ill be more careful with my words.
Turns out the driver side axle seal that wse barely leaking, agan not enough to drip, was bad. The tension spring that is suspose to be in the seal wasent I would emagine thats ware it came from.

happy trails

with this?

Possibly
bag.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom