How critical are these repairs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks, guys - amazing advice. I didn't know about ACC - but I do now, and they are close by. My situation is a bit unique - I came down to ATL from NYC a year ago to escape the pandemic. I had not owned a car for a decade (other than a 1976 Bronco). I run a tech startup so time is zero and the time I have goes to a new baby and a 7 year old. We don't know if we are going back - if not, I can buy the tools, etc. and get set up for some DIY work and education. But for now I need to just get the work that is urgent done with little hassle and rip off....plus some new wheels!

The passion on here is great. The forum not only helped me learn about these trucks - and buy one - plus a buddy of mine bought an 80 series based on my passion! Thanks, guys

IMG_20200926_121714.jpg

IMG_20200926_121740.jpg

Thanks, guys - amazing advice. I didn't know about ACC - but I do now, and they are close by. My situation is a bit unique - I came down to ATL from NYC a year ago to escape the pandemic. I had not owned a car for a decade (other than a 1976 Bronco). I run a tech startup so time is zero and the time I have goes to a new baby and a 7 year old. We don't know if we are going back - if not, I can buy the tools, etc. and get set up for some DIY work and education. But for now I need to just get the work that is urgent done with little hassle and rip off....plus some new wheels!

The passion on here is great. The forum not only helped me learn about these trucks - and buy one - plus a buddy of mine bought an 80 series based on my passion! Thanks, guys

View attachment 2625707

View attachment 2625710

That said. Go with ACC.

Agreed. Your focus is on your tech start up. Let the pros take care of your vehicle and have one less headache - but for a price.

Hey guys -
I have a 2003 LX 470 with 258K miles I bought about 6 months ago. Truck runs great and looks new. I took it into a highly reputable service center to get oil change/tire rotation plus have them give her a look. Overall, they said it was a really clean truck but noted the following. I have no idea how critical these are to do so need some help. They gave me a list based on their view of what is urgent plus price - for context i am in Atlanta.

Heater T's - $214
Battery - $209 (failed to meet min.level)
Rear Main Seal (moderate leak) $1621
Leaking Power Steering Rack - $1781 (What if I just changed the fluid?)
Differential & Transfer Case 0- $390
Door Lock Actuators - $1718 (dumb)

They note that power steering fluid and transmission fluid is due to be changed - but no idea if just changing the fluid is easy enough and worth doing alone.

Anyway, any help overall would be much appreciated!
Heater T's - $214 - I replaced it $20
Battery - $209 (failed to meet min.level) - I replaced it $130
Rear Main Seal (moderate leak) $1621 - newer know that this seal gets bad
Leaking Power Steering Rack - $1781 - $550 OEM PS + $250 labor
Differential & Transfer Case 0- $390 - all 3 casess = $70
Door Lock Actuators - $1718 (dumb) - replace just a motor 1 hr job for 5 doors = $25

The only thing that sounds like I’d want to do soon is the heater Ts. Put some Lucas Oil stop leak in power steering reservoir and see if that helps leak. Does the steering feel ok or are there dead spots?
Battery—test with voltmeter to see how much juice is left when car is off and then when it cranks. Maybe just need to add some distilled water to it. If the battery is done, then they’re super easy to access and replace yourself from any auto parts store or Costco/BJs.
Register your truck with Lexus and lookup it’s service history to see when any of this stuff has been done. If you’re lucky, it will have been taken to the dealer for maintenance and you’ll have a full history.
As you’ll see on here, these trucks are very robust and there are usually only a handful of things that are urgent repairs. They’re made to operate in the margins, so to speak! I was on a road trip in the Rockies and blew the ball joint boots, tie rod boots, steering rack, and the sway bar sheared off the frame. Made it back about 2,000 miles to DC without any issue and had the repairs done by a mechanic I know.
Good luck and enjoy.

The only thing that sounds like I’d want to do soon is the heater Ts. Put some Lucas Oil stop leak in power steering reservoir and see if that helps leak. Does the steering feel ok or are there dead spots?
Battery—test with voltmeter to see how much juice is left when car is off and then when it cranks. Maybe just need to add some distilled water to it. If the battery is done, then they’re super easy to access and replace yourself from any auto parts store or Costco/BJs.
Register your truck with Lexus and lookup it’s service history to see when any of this stuff has been done. If you’re lucky, it will have been taken to the dealer for maintenance and you’ll have a full history.
As you’ll see on here, these trucks are very robust and there are usually only a handful of things that are urgent repairs. They’re made to operate in the margins, so to speak! I was on a road trip in the Rockies and blew the ball joint boots, tie rod boots, steering rack, and the sway bar sheared off the frame. Made it back about 2,000 miles to DC without any issue and had the repairs done by a mechanic I know.
Good luck and enjoy.

The Lucas might work without issue, but think its worth mentioning that the most commonly recommended (Due to system compatibility) stop leak is AT-205 from ATP for the 100 series. It's priced similarly to the Lucas.

Amazon product ASIN B000NVW1LM
If the rack or pump is for certain the source of the leak. Often it's actually even more simple - the reservoir hoses causing a leak because they are old and dried out at the clamps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom