How close did I come to running out of gas tonight? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I was driving friends through the mountains tonight and lost track of the gas gauge. Suddenly, in the middle of nowhere, the light came on. We drove to the 5 closest gas stations, and all were closed. At that point, we decided it would be better to just go back through the mountain range to our home base, where I knew we'd find gas, and mind the tachometer than to burn more gas driving to additional gas stations that would likely be closed.

As my friends bit their nails, I assured them that we had at least 4 gallons left in the the tank. At 13mpg, we'd be good for 52 miles, and we only had about 30 to go. Finally, we made it out, got to a gas station minutes before closing time, and I filled the tank. After the pump did an initial auto shut off, I squeezed about an addition gallon from it. Here's the reading on the pump at absolute no-more-gas-will-get-in level:

20200824_004629[1].jpg

I'm assuming I exceeded 24.5 gallons by filling some of the pipe that precedes the tank as well? So just how close were we to be stranded with the moose on a dark mountain road tonight?

From what I've seen around here, you have 4.5-5 gallons when the light comes on. When the auto shut off stopped is when the tank was full. So you had half a gallon in there. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yes, you probably squeezed that last gallon into the fill tube and vent lines.

Let's turn this into a "can you jack up you charcoal canister" or is that just a myth discussion 😂

Last edited:
That’s the largest fill I’ve ever heard of or seen... glad it worked out. I’m guessing you had less than a gallon even with the filler. In my experience, the filler doesn’t really fill up when the handle clicks off. If you listen after you’ll hear it trickling down the tube.

that said, I wouldn’t push the fill past the initial click off plus a bit More as referenced, since it could flood the evap system. Definitely don’t do it at significant altitude. If had trouble with that in my 100 series.

my wife was freaking when the light came in and the range said zero. And then we drove another 10 miles. So just to not hear the complaining, I try not to get to the light.

When the light comes on, I know I've got at least 50 miles to find gas.

Let's turn this into a "can you jack up you charcoal canister" or is that just a myth discussion 😂

The guy that does my annual inspections and occasional work is Toyota Tech certified, used to work at the largest dealership in the area before he went out on his own a few years ago. He warned me about over-filling the tank, he said they did a lot of charcoal canister replacements over the years due to people squeezing in the last few drops, which causes raw gas to dump into the canister and eventually ruins it. Very expensive repair. I guess the 4Runners, Tundras, and Highlanders are particularly susceptible to this. I also stop after the first click.

Good to know about not overfilling--thanks, guys. Based on the math, it seems like my light is coming on at about 3 gallons to go. Here's how I figure.

Miles travelled after light turned on: ~30 miles.
MPG: 12.8
Gallons used after light came on: 2.3 (30/12.8)
Gallons remaining in tank at fill up: ~0.7
Gallons used + gallons remaining: 3.0 (2.3 + .7)

I guess it would be possible to get to 4 if any of my assumptions are off, but anything past 3.5 would be pushing it, I think. No way I'd be at 4.5 or 5 gallons remaining. I'd put the realistic range at 2.5 to 3.5.

Of course, if that pump was way off and cheating me by 20%, I suppose all bets are off too.

Congrats, closest fill I've ever done was a bit over 23.9 gallons. I was towing through Texas (and getting about 7 MPG) and went through town after town which didn't ever have a gas station. I have a 4.5 gallon rotopax on my roof I fill before any long trips now... combined with the fuel light on the LC it's like a traffic light with 2 yellow lights, so if you miss the first one you get a second chance :)

I think @Markuson has said before he's put in 25+ (before his aux tank), but I could be remembering wrong.

How level your vehicle is will impact your cruising range. Around town the gas light comes on at 19.5 gallons consumed like clockwork, but when I tow I find the light sometimes doesn't come on until 20 to 20.5... not sure if that's because the rear is squatting a bit or because the ECU refuses to believe I could be getting 6 MPG.

Related to vehicle level - I once pulled a 4x8 uhaul from VA to Chicago with my 4Runner. It ran out of gas with the tank reading 1/8. Apparently the fuel pump was towards the front of the tank so when the truck was loaded on the tongue fuel was sitting in the back of the tank and not getting picked up. I haven't seen the LC suffer from this but it's something to keep in mind

Good recovery. You were close!

I did a tank to empty test where I did run to engine stall. Data suggests that indeed, light came on with 4 gallons left in tank. Allowing me to go 45 miles on local roads (@11 mpg for my rig) before stalling.

Last edited:
Just an FYI if there is power to the pump you can use your credit card to buy gas at the pump after the station is closed. It is common for pumps to be left on after station closes especially in rural areas if law allows it.

Not a lot of people know that and I didn’t until someone told me canopy lights are off but pump will work and It’s the only has station for 10 miles.

Congrats, closest fill I've ever done was a bit over 23.9 gallons. I was towing through Texas (and getting about 7 MPG) and went through town after town which didn't ever have a gas station. I have a 4.5 gallon rotopax on my roof I fill before any long trips now... combined with the fuel light on the LC it's like a traffic light with 2 yellow lights, so if you miss the first one you get a second chance :)

I think @Markuson has said before he's put in 25+ (before his aux tank), but I could be remembering wrong.

Yep. Your memory is correct...I have...and that was without actually running out of gas....though I had to be awfully close. ;)

Just an FYI if there is power to the pump you can use your credit card to buy gas at the pump after the station is closed. It is common for pumps to be left on after station closes especially in rural areas if law allows it.

Not a lot of people know that and I didn’t until someone told me canopy lights are off but pump will work and It’s the only has station for 10 miles.

You'd think it would work that way our here, but nope. The few stations in the White Mountains all had their pumps turned off. Some of the pumps looked like they were on, but then said "Pump Off" on their illuminated displays.

For those who have seen the low gas light come on, what was the number of miles (range) that showed on the center display? Was it Zero? And since it looks like there is 4-5 gallons left, does the range become negative?

It doesn’t become negative it just hangs on zero. For fifty miles.

So I was driving friends through the mountains tonight and lost track of the gas gauge. Suddenly, in the middle of nowhere, the light came on. We drove to the 5 closest gas stations, and all were closed. At that point, we decided it would be better to just go back through the mountain range to our home base, where I knew we'd find gas, and mind the tachometer than to burn more gas driving to additional gas stations that would likely be closed.

As my friends bit their nails, I assured them that we had at least 4 gallons left in the the tank. At 13mpg, we'd be good for 52 miles, and we only had about 30 to go. Finally, we made it out, got to a gas station minutes before closing time, and I filled the tank. After the pump did an initial auto shut off, I squeezed about an addition gallon from it. Here's the reading on the pump at absolute no-more-gas-will-get-in level:

View attachment 2414362

I'm assuming I exceeded 24.5 gallons by filling some of the pipe that precedes the tank as well? So just how close were we to be stranded with the moose on a dark mountain road tonight?

I’ve hit 25+ before I had my 2nd tank... Got a photo somewhere.
But ya, you were basically empty.

Some older 200s are getting flaky senders. There have been a couple replacements on the board and I ran out of gas (in my driveway of all places) 18 mths ago with 1/8 tank. Now I know and just refill at 1/4 tank left. My light comes on about the same time as real 'empty'.

Closest I've come out and about was in a 1986 Subaru. It was east NY / W Vermont Christmas eve. Didn't buy in Albany, and light came on near the Vermont border. We started coasting down all hills in N (stick shift) and driving super granny (the original ultramileing). Drove for about an hour like this passing many many closed mom and pop corner markets with 2 pumps. Fill up after Christmas was nearly two gallons more than tank capacity. Must have been on the fumiest of fumes.

Well I may just give this a try. My display shows I have 45 miles range left. I have 35 miles (mostly highway) to drive back home tonight. Another 35 miles tomorrow morning to go back to the office, and then I'll drive 5 more miles to Costco and get gas. I should be to make it right? :)

I made it home one night. Went to start her the next day and no go. She was empty but gauge showed 1/4 tank. Bad sending unit.

Wouldn’t the light and mileage remaining be thrown off by larger tires, if the light is based on the calculated mileage remaining?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom