How can I increase my 3b's power? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a bone stock 3b in my 84 bj60. I'm sure you know, they're pretty sluggish. Especially with 33's and up to 500 pounds of steel on my roof on occasion. Is there any methods to increase acceleration power besides a 4.11 diff or turbo? (turbo will be a future project)

Thanks!

Beng a diesel it should have 4.11s from factory. You could either downsize to stock tires or go 4.56 if you want to gear down.

Beng a diesel it should have 4.11s from factory. You could either downsize to stock tires or go 4.56 if you want to gear down.

No. All CDM diesel 60 cruiser w/manual trans are 3.70. HJ60 w/auto trans and BJ40/42 came with 4.11.

I run my ex-BJ70 (3.70) with 265/75R16, then 31 and I found the 31 tire much more pleasant to drive even if the difference between the two tire size is marjinal.

No. All CDM diesel 60 cruiser w/manual trans are 3.70. HJ60 w/auto trans and BJ40/42 came with 4.11.

I run my ex-BJ70 (3.70) with 265/75R16, then 31 and I found the 31 tire much more pleasant to drive even if the difference between the two tire size is marjinal.
Hmm, that's interesting. Thanks for the correction. All the diesels I've seen have been 4.11s, but that's JDM.

If the exhaust is due to be replaced and you are planning a turbo down the road anyway , a bit more diameter never hurts . Especially if has a stock size on it . A little more air in can help a bit as well . A lot of guys will say to stick to stock replacement but I feel adding a K&N or similar flowing filter can help out . A Pyrometer is a good idea before you try affecting too much in the power department so you can at least monitor the effect of change you are making .

First recommend go to 4:11,

I've heard that the 4.11's make significant difference. However, I also heard that you're pushing 3k RPM at 110 KM/h on the highway and it would seem a bit more impractical to have 4.11's for that reason. But that seems like a small compromise for the increase in gearing. I do like to go on the occasional road trip via highways, which would be a bit of an annoyance for that part. Although I never asked the guy who told me that if he had a 5 speed or a 4 speed...

Turbo and intercooler are definently a future project. I have a new head gasket and pre cups that have to be installed first. Just have to commit to pulling the old rig off the road for a couple days, and then at least a couple weeks for the turbo conversion :(

I have found this website to be extremely handy for calculating gear ratios: http://www.rocky-road.com/calculator.html
For example with 4.11s, 33s, and 5th gear (.85:1) you'd be turning 2,429rpm at 110kph (68.3mph). With a four speed you'd be turning 2,858rpm at 110kph.

even a hillbilly turbo setup will be the best bang for your buck. Wire the waste gate shut and don't worry about an intercooler. It can be a weekend install if you've got all the right parts lined up ahead of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom