How can I improve the overall function of my '99 central console through tech? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'd like to make some upgrades to the center console of my '99 Cruiser. I don't have any sort of navigation, and I would like to add some.

Also, I am an iPod user and would like to integrate that into the stereo system somehow in a clean way.

Also, the CD player of my stock stereo is completely busted and so replacing that with a unit(s) that will take care of my stereo and GPS navigation would be ideal.

So, any suggestions that can give some inspiration as to where to start would be helpful.

How about Toyota NAV system?

Hey Jess,

A little pricey, but you could replace your factory stereo with a Toyota Factory NAV system....

http://www.oemvalue.com/request/toyotanavALLINSTOCK.htm

These will integrate XM Satellite radio & Rear back-up Camera if you like, and there are thridparty IPOD/MP3 Player interfaces that integrate with it as well (Scroll down to the bottom of the page in the link above). I inquired at one point about compatability, and was told that they had systems that would work with '98 thru '04 Cruisers.

Here is the link to their "Flash" site as well if you like...

http://www.oemvalue.com/index2.html

DDX7017. Check ebay. Ipod connectivity, dvd optional, reverse camera optional, tv tuner optional, standard dvd (can be set to work while in motion).

uzj100

jess said:
I'd like to make some upgrades to the center console of my '99 Cruiser. I don't have any sort of navigation, and I would like to add some.

Also, I am an iPod user and would like to integrate that into the stereo system somehow in a clean way.

Also, the CD player of my stock stereo is completely busted and so replacing that with a unit(s) that will take care of my stereo and GPS navigation would be ideal.

So, any suggestions that can give some inspiration as to where to start would be helpful.
hey take a look at my pic I posted I just replaced my radio with a indash double din dvd, tv, navi & back up camera. pluse a 10" bazoka tube in the back https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=64119 and I have one more post that will show you where my camera is just look for the other post and click on it

Which double DIN brand did you use?

uzj100

Does the DDX7017 fit in the factory stereo opening w/out any alteration. Are any of you guys currently using this unit, if so do any of you have pics of it installed? Does it fit all models post 98?

Thanks,
Chris

According to crutchfield it fits. One guy on here from Croatia has the ddx7015 and it fits great.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=44887&highlight=nav

I do not have one yet but that is the one I plan to put in my 99. I looked at the pioneer unit that includes nav but it does not allow you to play dvds.

uzj100

Last edited:
hello i did lots of research before my crash and then selling of my 99 eclipse makes a great nav tuner etc that fits perfectly and will work with factory speakers unless you want to change they also have the wiring for the ipod which i wanted also cost was about 2500 installed (nj area near philly maybe cheaper where you are) any way as for the camera i did not ask about that but ecplise actually makes many of the nav units for factory toyota cars all was touch screen and all there are other models but as for factory look no motor in and out of dash stuff you cant go wrong with the ecplipse also its 1 dvd for the enitire country do not have to swithc dvds they also have a more expensive unit with a larger hard drive which does not need to keep the dvd in it will also hold several 1000 mp3's

uzj100 said:
According to crutchfield it fits. One guy on here from Crotia has the ddx7015 and it fits great.

I have DDX 7025 a european version. Fits great, looking great, working great. Recomended by all means.

BTW: it's CroAtia :)

I corrected the misspelling of Croatia. Sorry about that. I had had only 1 cup of coffee at that point.

uzj100

uzj100, you seem to have given nav some thought. what was your pro/con list that made you go aftermarket rather than oem?

This qualifies as possibly the longest title to a thread.

I do not have a double din yet. Sunroof first. I kept thinking about the NAv and where I live, big city Raleigh NC, there is just no need at all for me. And where I travel, the beach and cape hatteras. Pretty straight forward. I would however like a system than can play a dvd (while in motion) and has ipod type control. I do not have an ipod yet either however it does seem to be the best way to store songs. Add in a reverse camera and a tv antenna and that should update the 99 pretty well. Also, I contacted Kenwood about bluetooth and they said at this time, they do not plan on adding it to their ddx 7015. If they add bluetooth to this system then the 99 would realy be updated.

DDX7015 gets you dvd. Ipod control, reverse camera, tv and nav can be at anytime.

uzj100

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom