How can I ID this CARB? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Are there any ways to ID this CARB? I have some close ups of the numbers below..

I know there are certain years they built in 74 that the carbs are different. I'm pretty sure this is a 75 carb.. (1/75-11/75 Toyota FJ40) but how can I be sure, and how do I know what carb rebuild kit to buy.

Will this carb fit my air cleaner?

Thanks

IMG_6318.JPG

IMG_6319.JPG
IMG_6320.JPG
IMG_6321.JPG
IMG_6322.JPG

Thanks

Date code 6E6 means May '76 production I'm pretty sure. Looks like it as well according to SOR. http://www.sor.com/cat042d.sor Also according to SOR this air cleaner will ft. http://www.sor.com/cat012.sor Just my 0.02 is that air cleaner is for an 80+ FJ4/60 with the 3 additional vacuum ports on the bottom of the picture. You might want to plug them up.

That 76 carb will not fit the pictured 81-87 air cleaner. The 81 aircleaner will only bolt to an 81- valve cover, which puts the aircleaner too low. The aircleaner lid will hit the top of the carb, but it will end up cocked off level, not sealing all the way around.

Sorry posted wrong air cleaner pic so I just went outside and snapped a pic of the one I have..

So this (76 CARB) will work with this (Air Cleaner) on my 75 2F engine? right?

Thanks guys
IMG_6129.JPG
IMG_6130.JPG
IMG_6319.JPG
IMG_6327.JPG
IMG_6328.JPG

Last edited:
That 76 carb will not fit the pictured 81-87 air cleaner. The 81 aircleaner will only bolt to an 81- valve cover, which puts the aircleaner too low. The aircleaner lid will hit the top of the carb, but it will end up cocked off level, not sealing all the way around.

Always trust the experts!

AND do I have to have this CARB insulator as shown on SORs website.. looks kinda over kill... HAHA
042-01H.jpg

Think its # 2...

just have a rebuilt CARB so I can drive it.. Just want a reliable running CARB. the CARB the Previous owner has on there is a Rochester POS... No thank you.. HAHA.

from what I've been told on this site..the engine is consistant with other 3/75...so thats all I can go on..
IMG_6129.JPG

Slowly but surely I'm getting all the pieces I need to get an original CARB back on this FJ. Still need some help.

1. What is this piece?
IMG_6336.JPG

2. do i have to have this braket #55 in PIC?
042F.gif

thanks

Yes you do. And the piece on the firewall is what the trunion sticks into and in at the carb side. And it turns to push the rod that connects to the throttle linkage
image.jpg
This is how the assembly looks but I still need the long adjustable rod that goes from the peddle to the trunion

Yes, the 76 carb will work with the 75-80 throttle linkage and the 75 2F and the 76 air cleaner.

Yes, the insulator plate is needed to get the height stacked up correctly, and it serves a very useful function in terms of keeping the carb bowl from boiling dry when the engine is up to temp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom