how can i clean my fuel tank? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know alot of you guys are gonna come up with the obvious take it to a radiator shop. I'm broke gotta do it myself and I would like this to be the fifth and final time dropping the tank. It has lots of rust particles and it seems to be getting worse. What can I do to it?

Trash it and come and get one of my spare rust free tanks looking for a new home. Located in Wyoming.

gee thats what like 1800 miles from naples. Thanks for the offer but myother62 has a tank too just have a feeling its rusted too. Gotta get one of the two tanks in respectable shape.

I would be shocked if a shop would charge you more than $40. If you can't swing it rent a steam jenny or find out who has one around you. Last option shove a pressure washer wand inside put a ziptie on trigger and walk away. I used the big steam jenny we have at work and it worked great. I did have my sending unit, pickup, and drain plug out of the tank while steaming it. Good luck....Mike

I pulled a palm full of rust particles a little bigger than grains of sand out of the sump area this afternoon. Will pressure washing it keep the rust away?

The tank in the truck i'm driving sat for a year or so my spare has been sitting for at least 3 years.

Has your truck been in for the recall yet? You may be eligible for a free new tank. Do a search on tank recall.

Dynosoar:zilla:

x2 on the recall.

Do you have the inlet strainer in the tank (on end of the fuel suction pipe?)

Top clean out tanks, as a kid, I used about 2# of 1" long roof nails nails to 'swish around' to help remove rust flakes. Cleaner was MEK (about a quart) with the nails. Seal up openings... and just keep rotating the tank (have a friend help, cruiser tank is big and heavy) until your arms fall off. After you dump out the nails, you have to shaking the tank to get all the nails out of the baffles (my arms give out by then).

These days I'd just haul it down to get boiled out ($200 plus for a cruiser tank around here).

Thanks to Cruiser Dan... all new OEM hoses, etc on the tank! I replaced the inlet strainer, so good for another 20 years. Oh, only way to prevent rust... store with the tank full! (little air space), or drain the tank completely and leave the gas cap off to promoted air circulation (put a screen over the inlet if mud dabbers are around!)

Tom

Yep, have your local dealer run your vin to see if it was done yet.

It is free, and doesn't expire. Just had mine done.

There is no real easy way to clean it yourself. I have had one or two have done that was really filthy inside. What I did after I got all the gas out of them was take it to the car wash pressure wash it(or at home if you have a pressure washer) the by hand wiped any then I may have missed(what i could reach anyway) then the important thing at that point is to get the water dried so I just turned it upside down and let it sit in the sun for a day:meh:. Then before reinstall i poured some dry gas in.

I pulled a palm full of rust particles a little bigger than grains of sand out of the sump area this afternoon. Will pressure washing it keep the rust away?
Pressure wash it and see where the rust is....be care full with the suction pipes they can brake easily if they are rusted. If you find you need to braze fill the tank half full of water

when I got this truck I had similar problems except the pickup screen on the pump was getting fouled. so I ripped the screen off and reinstalled everything. it ran great for like 3500 miles. So when it was still having problems after a new filter, I knew it was the tank again. The trucks a daily driver so I don't think it's new rust just still breaking free.

But I will definitely check on the recall I might have 2 new tanks coming to me.

they used to sell them a couple other places too but I haven't seen anywhere that still carries them. Tehy usually go for $300-$400. If I had that much I could find a boat place to do it for me this is south florida.

this is some of what I managed to pull out yesterday. I'm surprised I was getting any fuel. If it weren't for the rain I' do the tank today, but the rain will make the mud holes nice and soupy.
03-21-08_1534.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom