How big is this problem? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ProvoCruiser

SILVER Star
Threads
I am gettting ready for a trip to moab this week and was checking all fluids and everything today. I was greasing everything up and noticed somthing that could be a big problem. I don't know anything about this, so any info is helpful. once i inserted grease, it started to seep out in places. it seems that the "rubber tubing" (lack of knowledge/terminology) has holes to where the grease leaks or has no "tubing" at all. I know it will have to be replaced, but do i just get a new set of tie rod ends? does this have to take place before i moab run? I am probably not going to take it on real crazy obstacles. again, any info would be helpful.thanks
attachment.php

DSC02891.JPG
DSC02892.JPG
DSC02893.JPG

Those are dust covers. (From what I can see in the pic) If over greased they will pop and let excess out. Check for movement up and down for T/R wear. Otherwise just reseat and be done. Will be fine.

It should seep out when you overfill it. Thats how you know when to stop pumping the grease in. But if it is missing the rubber boot then you should get a replacement boot at the least. They may have universal boots at a local auto parts store. I would wash those ends too. That way you can tell if the boots are split or gone. Are you driving or towing to Moab? If your just running the trails I think it will be fine the boot just keeps the grease around the joint in the tie rod end. Carry a grease gun.

Matthew

If the T/R end is good the covers can be replaced separately...

It should seep out when you overfill it. Thats how you know when to stop pumping the grease in. But if it is missing the rubber boot then you should get a replacement boot at the least. They may have universal boots at a local auto parts store. I would wash those ends too. That way you can tell if the boots are split or gone. Are you driving or towing to Moab? If your just running the trails I think it will be fine the boot just keeps the grease around the joint in the tie rod end. Carry a grease gun.

Matthew

I understand that when its too full it will seep out, but it shouldn't seep directly out of the boot. It will be towed to moab. so if i just grease em up each morning before i hit the trail, do you think i will be ok not puting on new boots before the trip?

Thanks for the quick responses and info guys!

I would go with it. BTW the boot should get a little bulge to it if it is sealing correctly, that way there is pressure on the grease to force it into the joint.

Matthew

cool, thanks mathew, appreciate the help

As long as there is no play in the T/R end you are good to go with no worries. There will be T/R ends there at moab that wish they were greased as much as yours. Replace the boots when you get back. Have fun and be safe...

I understand that when its too full it will seep out, but it shouldn't seep directly out of the boot. It will be towed to moab. so if i just grease em up each morning before i hit the trail, do you think i will be ok not puting on new boots before the trip?

Thanks for the quick responses and info guys!

You do not have a problem, there is nothing to fix & nothing to buy. The hole in the boot is there to determine when to stop pumping grease. Pump until new color grease comes out.

Like someone said, those boots can wear out, crack, split etc & need replacement. But not because of grease coming out of the hole.

Have fun @ Moab.

John

You do not have a problem, there is nothing to fix & nothing to buy. The hole in the boot is there to determine when to stop pumping grease. Pump until new color grease comes out.

Like someone said, those boots can wear out, crack, split etc & need replacement. But not because of grease coming out of the hole.

Have fun @ Moab.

John

Ok, that answers the question, didn't know there was supposed to be a hole in the boot. oh, moab will be a treat...hopefully i dont cause too much damage:doh:

The only problem he has is going to Moab a month early.....

As far as I can tell its normal, Have fun in Moab

haha, i wish i could go down for cruise moab, i am supposed to be moving then....looking forward to next year though

I usually pump until the rusty water stops coming out of the holes in the boots. In comparison...you're golden. No probs unless the joints themselves have sloppyness in them right now.

run it dogg and forget it, nice poser pics, the aussie will get you so much further than you think. have fun in moab

There is what's called a garter spring on the boots that make them seal. Have fun in Moab.

'Bout the only thing you can do is lift it up and get the wheels off the ground and see if you have any play in your steering set up.

thanks for all the responses fellas, much appreciated. i'll have to post some pics when i get done with moab,first time in my cruiser so we'll see how it goes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom