How big is the BJ market in the US? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I do know of a brand new 3b sitting on a pallet all shrink wrapped up. Been like that for 15 years or more

I’d love a good BJ… but that ship has sailed. My knee is too blown to shift enough to work with a small 4 cylinder. I considered a swap… but the numbers don’t add up. It would take 10 years to save enough money in fuel to pay for the conversion… and that’s assuming no major repairs needed to the 3B.

In contrast, my first SBC that replaced my F in ‘96 was $300. After 21 years it spun a rod bearing and I replaced it with another $300 SBC which is in 100X better shape. Since I no longer DD my 40, the extra cost of a diesel isn’t offset by the savings.

I love my larger diesel, but it’s not practical for my 40 series. I’m going to build the heck out of it and enjoy it for what it is. Besides, a TPI 40 is going to be a lot more fun for me to drive with a blown left knee.

I do know of a brand new 3b sitting on a pallet all shrink wrapped up. Been like that for 15 years or more
Cool… too bad it’s owner probably wants at least $2-3k for it… rather than my going rate of $300 for an engine.

I have met several FJ owners in Texas who say they would love to have a diesel powered BJ if they could ever get their hands on one. Being a newbie here I am curious how strong this sentiment is in the US and if the BJ's are really a sought after model in the land of gas?
Even here some of the 3B rebuild parts are somewhat of a challenge to find. I’ve read some of the tiny frost plugs had to be sourced from strange places (for example).

That said, F pistons are NLA for all intents and purposes. So you might be better off with 3B parts that are available if you dig for them. When I got a quote to rebuild my F engine in ‘96 the pistons were $600 and a challenge to find. Not surprisingly, 26 years later they are essentially unobtainium.
What parts are hard to find? I seem to find stuff pretty easy. Also I'm in canadaland

well i made the decision to bring this to the table , and make It ALIVE once again :

16480-24010

NLA / Disc.

1644108787366.png

There is still a decent amount of them rolling around here in Canada.
My rig is a registered 1978 BJ40. But sadly the B engine is gone
mine to has been swamped to a small block 😢
It was a 24volt rig are they 24v in South America

Old Toyota diesel over flow bottles won't keep the truck from moving down the road..

Cool to see NLA parts showing up, no matter what they are though.

well ..........

if your in to the
OLD and NOT down with the NEW Teq , then that's personal issue between you and your BJ42 😆

toyota-3B-engine1.jpg

1557320401346 - Copy.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom