How big is the BJ market in the US? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have met several FJ owners in Texas who say they would love to have a diesel powered BJ if they could ever get their hands on one. Being a newbie here I am curious how strong this sentiment is in the US and if the BJ's are really a sought after model in the land of gas?

I don’t know about other people, but when I was in Costa Rica looking for a truck to import, I specifically wanted a diesel over a gasser

I also took a HJ45 to a car show and a ton of people were super excited to see a diesel cruiser there. A lot of people confused it for a BJ

I for one would never have even considered a gas burner but that’s just me.
A9749600-6E90-4DA3-A5BB-4434B70714A2.jpeg

To me, diesel usually means central american import (beat), Canadian import (rust), or australian import (rhd). So less value to me. But I'm also mentally invested in the F and 2F, so I'm biased. 😉

Edit: since this is in the 40 series section, I assume that's what we're talking about. Because 'd love a diesel 60 or 70 series.

Last edited:
Where I am from in Texas, is the land of all things diesel. Very sought after. When I was looking for my Landcruiser I was CHASING after diesels, but I never could get a hold of the owner fast enough before they were already scooped up. I ended up finding and buying my FJ instead (I love that girl). The land cruiser following is pretty passionate here, that I have found. I truly can't go anywhere without getting stopped and asked if I would seriously consider an offer and guys just wanting to talk about their Landcruisers.

You cant title a diesel here in california, it has to be pre 77, and it will still be a challenge. Every year that goes by, the rules are getting worse, they are are ending all gas powered lawn mowers, blowers, chain saws etc soon!!!!

To me, diesel usually means central american import (beat), Canadian import (rust), or australian import (rhd). So less value to me. But I'm also mentally invested in the F and 2F, so I'm biased. 😉

Edit: since this is in the 40 series section, I assume that's what we're talking about. Because 'd love a diesel 60 or 70 series.

In the same boat. This will will be 48 years owning my first FJ40. It's what I know and what I have stock piled a ton of parts for. As time goes by parts and mechanics who work on old diesels will become harder and harder to find. In the Phoenix area Toyota dealer who will work on Land Cruiser older than an 80 series is hard to find. I'm content with F series petrol engines I know how to work on and not have to worry find parts for.

3B parts availability is an issue. I am stockpiling parts and will have the spare engine (running) when the swap is done.

I have owned almost every model of landcruiser. The big difference between a gasser, and a diesel…. No choke, no hesitation, no back fires, climb a 45 degree hill, great mpg, low maintenance, drive through a deep creek, the list goes on, the only negative is parts availablity and power!

What parts are hard to find? I seem to find stuff pretty easy. Also I'm in canadaland

What parts are hard to find? I seem to find stuff pretty easy. Also I'm in canadaland
Basically anything relating to the engine. I had to rebuild my engine and head and it took me forever to find the parts.

Basically anything relating to the engine. I had to rebuild my engine and head and it took me forever to find the parts.
Even here some of the 3B rebuild parts are somewhat of a challenge to find. I’ve read some of the tiny frost plugs had to be sourced from strange places (for example).

That said, F pistons are NLA for all intents and purposes. So you might be better off with 3B parts that are available if you dig for them. When I got a quote to rebuild my F engine in ‘96 the pistons were $600 and a challenge to find. Not surprisingly, 26 years later they are essentially unobtainium.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom