how big is my gas tank? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1978 canadian fj40. last time i filled up with the guage close to E, it took about 12.5 gallons but i always thought it was closer to a 17 gallon tank?

I believe that that tank is right about 16 gallons (and located under the passenger seat). The later model 40s have the tank moved under the tub and are about 22 gallons.

the tank (underseat) in my 72 fj40 is right at 18.5 gallons

malphrus

The polytank in my 75 FJ40 is 14.2 gallons. Don't ask me how far I had to walk....er....I mean how I know this.

As a side note I would repeatedly run out of gas when my OE guage read 1/8 or so. Well, I pulled the intake line and it was too shart reaching approx 1" from the bottom of the tank. I lengthened it and now it runs out when the guage reads "E".

older tanks = 18 gallons

mid-late 70's tanks = 16 gallons

79+ = 22 gallons..

If I remember correct, the book for my 78 says 62 Litres. I know for a fact I have put over 60L in, and at the time the fuel guage didn't work.

What doors are you looking for? I live in Tsawwassen but my cruiser is in Powell River, I am heading home to work on it this weekend if you need any other random parts, I have lots of random stuff. pm me

holy crap....62 liters....you're goin to have to un-canada that one for me, ha ha

malphrus

hey sizzle my first fill up today since put back together gas gauge was on E and it took
only aprox 48 liters ,12.8 US gallons . i have always been curious about this also my tank never takes anything near what the manual said it should

pbgbottle said:
hey sizzle my first fill up today since put back together gas gauge was on E and it took
only aprox 48 liters ,12.8 US gallons . i have always been curious about this also my tank never takes anything near what the manual said it should
have you ever run it dry before? i'm questioning the accuracy of the fuel gauge

i've never been able to put more than about 45 L's in my tank, and thats with the guage right on E.

chuglife said:
i've never been able to put more than about 45 L's in my tank, and thats with the guage right on E.
ya, that's my experience. i'm gonna try running it dry with a jerry can reserve and see exactly how far down she goes. hopefully there's nothing too nasty in the bottom of my gas tank.

keep a spare fuel filter with you if you're gonna do that... but good idea. let me know the results :cheers:

I have a 75 and yesterday I found out that it holds 16 gallons the hard way. Pushed it to the station and filled her up.

mano002 said:
I live in Tsawwassen but my cruiser is in Powell River, I am heading home to work on it this weekend if you need any other random parts, I have lots of random stuff. pm me

Powell River eh :cheers:

thats where im at just got my cruiser going a little while back but lost my driver lic @ freida :doh:

well cool to se a fellow mudmember from pr

SizzleChest said:
ya, that's my experience. i'm gonna try running it dry with a jerry can reserve and see exactly how far down she goes. hopefully there's nothing too nasty in the bottom of my gas tank.

never run mine dry either ..keep us up to date on the out come . this has been bugging me for a few years now . i have never put 62 liters in my tank . let us know how far the needle goes down . or drops off ..

findings

tank is between 55-60 litres. mileage (kilometerage) worked out to roughly 325-350 kms to a tank (odo read 300kms with 32x11.5 tires). gauge needle went down almost to where the needle was completely past the E line.

217 miles / 15.5 gallons = 14 miles per gallon. Much better than i thought!

SizzleChest said:
tank is between 55-60 litres. mileage (kilometerage) worked out to roughly 325-350 kms to a tank (odo read 300kms with 32x11.5 tires). gauge needle went down almost to where the needle was completely past the E line.

217 miles / 15.5 gallons = 14 miles per gallon. Much better than i thought!

did you run it dry?? i just hit the E today got nervous .and it took 53.8 liters

pbgbottle said:
did you run it dry?? i just hit the E today got nervous .and it took 53.8 liters
yup, completely dry. i had to pull into some ol' timers driveway. i think he thought i was his long lost son or something ;p

i had 14.5 litres in my jerry can. i put the whole thing in and then drove about 4-5 kilometers to the nearest chevron and put 46.6 litres in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom