How Big can i go??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i have a 1987 FJ60 and i want to run 38.5 ground Hawgs..I'm going to use old man emu springs (heavy) and its going to be Soa.. would i be able to fit the 38's with that lift and only do minor fender trimming?? or would i need a body lift or different springs?

thanx -mark

You will be able fit them, but you will definitely need to trim up your fenders some I am pretty sure. Search on here and pirate 4x4 for USFSIHC, he is running at least 38.5's IIRC, it will give you some ideas on fender clearance.

Hey I am on here too guys just not quite as much...I run 2 inch alcans in the back and 1.5s in the front SOA and clear 39.5s but I had to do a fair amount of fender trimming. If you want to run 38s I would get 1 inch or 1.5 inch springs and just do some fender trimming. You should not have to cut to much but I would be nervous going much higher you will be a roll over machine. And its none of my business but I would ditch the hawgs and just get some swampers.

[quote author=LuvenMud15 link=board=12;threadid=8212;start=msg69436#msg69436 date=1070238681]
i have a 1987 FJ60 and i want to run 38.5 ground Hawgs..I'm going to use old man emu springs (heavy) and its going to be Soa.. would i be able to fit the 38's with that lift and only do minor fender trimming?? or would i need a body lift or different springs?

thanx -mark
[/quote]

easy the 38.5 hawg i had were the same size as my (bald) 36 tsl's. just a fyi

easy the 38.5 hawg i had were the same size as my (bald) 36 tsl's. just a fyi

thats good to know, thanx
maybe it is time to get some swampers :D

well, my 38.5 SX's only measure 36" when aired properly, so sizes of ALL tire brands is far from exact....

Ground Hawgs are a great mud tire tho....maybe 39.5 boggers tho?!?

SX's are a good all around tire IMO....good, but not great in mud, but I tend to be a "lazy" driver and not spin them much. Their side-hill traction is much better than boggers for those muddy slopes. Boggers just plain rule when you need to simply propel yourself thru the goo. The don't climb muddy logs as well as SX's tho, and when you want to steer, the SX's are better there too.

A buddy runs 35" boggers on his minitruck (see the site coverpics) and he's switching to SX's....

Ya might consider 38.5 SX's front and a bogger rear...I believe they now make a 38.5 bogger too....fronts to steer, rears to propel...

yea the only reason i was leaning towards the hawgs is because they apparently wear pretty good for a mud tire, and whatever tire i get is gonna be atleast a 38, so i need to put in a 1 ton drivetrain, and since i'm only 17 i can't afford to be buying tires every 10,000 or so.. hopefully my parents will help :-\

Hawgs do wear forever...some of the "big dawgs" around here swear by them. Personally, I need an excuse to buy new tires every so often...lol I've got 3 years on my 38.5's (trailered/trail) and want new tires, but these just refuse to die out....lol

yea thats true SX's do seem to be okay, and my 60 isn't my daily driver, but it's the long road trip's to paragon and such thats gonna kill me, but eventually when i get a tow rig i think i'll try that SX's in the front bogger's in the back.. plus i heard that with bogger's up front, you tend to break plenty of axles

Woody is dead on about the sx's vs the boggers. Boggers are great when it gets sloppy but on any side hill they are the worst thing going! He watched me slide a few times and I now have sx's and they are great on side hills and all around except mud. I guess if I used the motor the things would perform in the nasty stuff but they would not compare to the boggers in the slop. I gues you have to ask yourself where you will be playing more. When I was 17 or so, all I did was play in the mud.
Either way, you can't go wrong with either tire, but my vote is for sx's these days....imo

also on the hawgs...... you can NEVER back up in soupy mud there is NO rev traction...as for the sx to booger statments i agree i would run a 38.5 sx LONG before i went back to hawgs unless its a road truck ... there they shine and ware like iron .02 ct :D

here's mtcw

go out and buy a fair priced used set of 38 anythings. wheel them in the mud a couple of time and you will realize that they're not big enough.I run 39.5 boggers and they arn't big enough.hawgs are great if they are cut. if not then no backy. cut boggers do alot better then stock boggers on the off camber slipping issue.

bottom line,you want/need better or bigger tires way before yu have serious wear issues :cheers:

so your saying, don't worry about the wear.. worry about the size first?
how many miles a month do you put on your cruiser??

yea i could really use one of those...

i need green

i ask my parents for a new dodge pick-up 3500 cummings for Christmas and a trailer.. this is basically what i got- :slap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom