How badly have i F&£%€D up?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

plink01

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey im the worlds biggest moron and i stuffed up hitting my new spindle bushing into the spindle.
For some reason i squeezed it too tight with the vice and while hitting the bushing it has put a small indentation on the surface. I sanded it back and its much better but its still deep enough to just catch a fingernail.

Is it completly stuffed and throw it in the bin spec?
I'm thinking about running a tiny film of JB Weld over it and sand it back again once its dry. ive never used JB Weld before but ive seen it used a fair bit on this site and i feel it may work.
Man im the biggest idiot, im shattered!

If I were you, I'd bring it to a local machine shop. They should be able to fill in the blemish with weld filler and then put the spindle on a lathe to machine it to factory specs.

Take the high spots off like you have, make sure the bearing will hit the stop when you slide it up on there, and it'll be fine, no worse off than when you started. That part of the spindle isn't part of the mating surface to the bearing. The important parts are the back stop (below ding in pic), and the cylindrical part that the bearing rides on just in front of (above in pic) where you dinged it...

Awesome thanks for your help! I mixed up a bees dick of JB weld and filled it. Like you said its not part of the mating surface so ill reinstall it. Ill open it up and check it after a few thousand kms to make sure its ok.

Spindles aren’t as expensive as you might think relative to say birfields.

$150 at worst from memory (I drove awhile on a very destroyed axle) - but that was Cruiserdan pricing so automatically makes it 6-8yrs ago.

Point being if the JB doesn’t stay bonded, don’t let a machine shop gouge you. I’d fill it with weld myself & grinder/dremel it - it’s not like you crossthreaded the bearing nut threads or anything more critical.

On the scale of damage possible / total cost of part, you barely hiccuped ;)

THIS! The bearing races do NOT rotate/move on this surface of the spindle. The spindle only holds the I D of the inner races centered up.

I suppose I should clarify I’d have voted “run it” -if this was a poll.

I merely pointed out spindles aren’t horribly priced, but that little nick isn’t worth getting another.

I’m thinking / knowing how machine shops charge $100 min just to strike an arc, let alone lathe time.
At that point you could easily get a repair quote that exceeds buying a new one (for arguement sake).

Good on you for giving it the JB & just forget about it.

I wouldn't worry about it. I'd rather have a gouge than a raised spot.

x 99, run it

Ditto: I staked the spindles on my 96 model 50,000 miles ago by putting dozens of dings in them on purpose, no issues. A deep gouge might make it difficult to slide the bearing on the spindle if it raised the metal, sanding the high spot as you did would fix that.

Run it, no big deal !

I see nothing wrong, run it

Meh...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom