How bad is it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm replacing all ball joints and tie rods but now I'm really considering replacing the entire rack. Passenger side seems solid

What do you guys think?

Cant really tell based on that video. Based on the condition of the tie rod boots and upper arm boots....I'm guessing that rack is original. How many miles? anything over 200k I'd say replace the rack if its in your budget.

If you wanted to throw a little money at it, you could replace the inner tie rod(s). The moog/555 ones are pretty solid and easy to replace.

The inner and outer tie rods looks loose wherein it should be tight. The upper and lower ball joint boots are torn so I think it's time to get it replaced.

Cant really tell based on that video. Based on the condition of the tie rod boots and upper arm boots....I'm guessing that rack is original. How many miles? anything over 200k I'd say replace the rack if its in your budget.

If you wanted to throw a little money at it, you could replace the inner tie rod(s). The moog/555 ones are pretty solid and easy to replace.

240k miles. Been replacing a much as I can and I just about rebuilt the front end except for the ball joints and this. Really considering just biting the bullet. It's not just our offroad vehicle but our family car.

Also, I do believe they are the original ones. Everything else was and it was just worn or tore up.

It's likely just your inner tie rod. You can replace those separate from the rack - its actually pretty easy. I have 260k on my truck with the original rack, and its as solid as can be.

With a new rack you're going to be replacing all those ball joints, so just start with replacing them on your working rack. Typically I'd expect the rack to weep PS fluid before it's got play in it from wear on the rack and pinion gears. Is it leaking?

With a new rack you're going to be replacing all those ball joints, so just start with replacing them on your working rack. Typically I'd expect the rack to weep PS fluid before it's got play in it from wear on the rack and pinion gears. Is it leaking?
I can't tell for sure since there's oil everywhere underneath. All the boots were cracked as you can kinda tell.

Based on my experience, you're right at the lower limit of the life of the steering rack, if it's going to go. Some seem to last forever, and the others don't. If you have a time bomb, you're running on a short fuse. I replaced my rack a couple of months ago and spent last weekend pressure washing the crud off the front end, to find still more leaks.

I'd pull both under covers and spray liberally with simple green, then hot pressure wash after soaking. Once everything metal looks metallic again, you can get a better idea of what needs to be replaced. The rack is definitely something you can do yourself, if you have a weekend. You can rent/borrow the tools from Autozone or the like, but I wouldn't go after the joints without compressed air; that's just too much like work.

FWIW, those inner joints don't look pretty.

Based on my experience, you're right at the lower limit of the life of the steering rack, if it's going to go. Some seem to last forever, and the others don't. If you have a time bomb, you're running on a short fuse. I replaced my rack a couple of months ago and spent last weekend pressure washing the crud off the front end, to find still more leaks.

I'd pull both under covers and spray liberally with simple green, then hot pressure wash after soaking. Once everything metal looks metallic again, you can get a better idea of what needs to be replaced. The rack is definitely something you can do yourself, if you have a weekend. You can rent/borrow the tools from Autozone or the like, but I wouldn't go after the joints without compressed air; that's just too much like work.

FWIW, those inner joints don't look pretty.
Just talked to my mechanic outside (happened to be paying by) he thinks I should replace it soon since there's so much play and lots of oil gunk. Thinks it might be leaking for a while now. 😒 I guess I was hoping it'd be one of the racks that go on strong, lol. Not my case it seems. Which is fine, I'll get it done and have peace of mind. Just means other cooler upgrades will have to wait a little more...

Just talked to my mechanic outside (happened to be paying by) he thinks I should replace it soon since there's so much play and lots of oil gunk. Thinks it might be leaking for a while now. 😒 I guess I was hoping it'd be one of the racks that go on strong, lol. Not my case it seems. Which is fine, I'll get it done and have peace of mind. Just means other cooler upgrades will have to wait a little more...
Without pulling the boots, I don't know how you can determine if there is any play in the rack. The rack could be rock solid and the inner rod has all the play. If you have power steering fluid leaking out, you may have an indication. Depending on how bad, you may be able to treat with AT-205 (when its back in stock). It stopped weeping on my rack.

Or you can throw $$$$ at it, and hope the new one doesn't have infant mortality.

Don't succumb to any band-aid fixes (sealers, partial rebuild, etc)....just replace it. You are on the cusp of the useful life of a steering rack for the vast majority of us. You won't have to worry about it for another 200K miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom