How bad is it really (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well its sad but i think my motor is toast. I found this in the oil pant when i pulled it to change the gasket. Its all metal. My motor docent knock but has had low oil pressure and low compression in one cylinder. I have a thread on here talking about what i wanted to do if I swap the engine out with something different. Ive decided to keep with my original plan which is a 2fe with a 5 speed (h55f or a nv4500)

12736767_765771660193985_735258073_o.jpg

If I had to guess by the looks and description I'd have to say you are looking at leftover mains.
Put thicker oil in, baby it and prepare for the big build. Any noise crops up quit running her. It isn't worth ruining he block and crank.

Can't you pull the caps (one at a time of course) and check the lower half of the mains? Check for scoring on the crank. And are you sure that isn't a remains of a ring from that low compression cylinder?

I'd want to know where that came from before running the motor.

~ Carl

You could pull the caps but the material looks like bearing material. I don't think the low compression cylinder is telling but low oil pressure is as well as lack of knock caused by a rod. I've seen rings seize, break or burn but these were always in their groove. I suppose it could be piston fragments squished flat either from a burned piston or broken skirt... So I guess a good question would be what is the compression on the low cylinder and what is the oil pressure at now?

Good point about the rings staying in the groves.

You could pull the caps but the material looks like bearing material. I don't think the low compression cylinder is telling but low oil pressure is as well as lack of knock caused by a rod. I've seen rings seize, break or burn but these were always in their groove. I suppose it could be piston fragments squished flat either from a burned piston or broken skirt... So I guess a good question would be what is the compression on the low cylinder and what is the oil pressure at now?

Well if you are referring to the oil pressure I'd say you are fine. Mine hovers on the low end and runs fine. Is the material from the pan smooth like butter or chunky bits?

Well if you are referring to the oil pressure I'd say you are fine. Mine hovers on the low end and runs fine. Is the material from the pan smooth like butter or chunky bits?

A friend of mine makes them for ford rangers and he let me borrow his jig to make these
Chunky bits

Ok...is this all that was in there? It looks like half a teaspoon. a magnet stick to it or not?

Hmm. Some wear but not too awful. One cylinder is low for sure. That probably allowed some compression to blow by the rings causing the oil in the breather. Guess I'd pull some rod caps while you're there and check those. That material is coming from somewhere. If it was silky smooth I'd say just wear over the years but chunky means some scoring somewhere. Magnet test indicates bearings.

Good advice in here. This 2F gonna be running the streets again soon :)

Just for something to visually compare. Here's a pic of my rear bearing cap near the flywheel. Engine had 287k on it. This one seemed fine enough to me. No engine issues going on. Just wanted a peek.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Clean her up, new rings and bearings, and she'll be good as new. Mic the journals to make sure they are within spec. Cam too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom