How Bad Are These Spark Plugs (picture) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys,

I decided to change out my spark plugs & wires tonight as a quick project (since I do not know when or if the previous owner ever did).

Just wanted to get some feedback on these plugs condition and if this is normal or excessive wear? (I have never changed plugs before and wanted to know for future reference)

So....how crusty are these? (1st and 2nd from left have white "crust" on them....3rd from left no longer has gap)

Crusty spark plugs would make for a rough ride right?

Thanks!
sparkplgs.jpg

#’s one and two appear ‘normal’.

I would replace the plugs on all, run the engine to operating temperature, adjust the valves, run the engine again to operating temperature and then I would do a compression check on all cylinders. This may give you an idea as to why #3 is so fouled with carbon.

What is the condition of the rest of your ignition components?

Cap/rotor/wires/points/condenser if you have them?

I changed out cap, rotor, points, condenser about 6 months ago. (had no-start, no-spark problems)....Don't know why I didn't take care of the plugs at that time.

Just finished installing the new plugs and wire, and while the Rig does not run noticeably smoother, at least I can cross this one off the list.

Bosh platinum plugs suck w/ point ignition anyways:frown:

I changed out cap, rotor, points, condenser about 6 months ago. (had no-start, no-spark problems)....Don't know why I didn't take care of the plugs at that time.

Just finished installing the new plugs and wire, and while the Rig does not run noticeably smoother, at least I can cross this one off the list.

If #3 was bridged with carbon like that, it wouldv'e run as a dead miss, you now say that after doing a full tuneup it runs the same. You need to do a valve adjust and compression test, as it sounds like you might have an internal engine problem, that plug looking the way it does only adds to that.

What doesn't Bosch suck on?

Go NGK! - or in a pinch Autolite's because they're cheap and you can replace them with NGK's when you get the chance.

I bet the truck runs like "new" w/o messing with anything but the plugs. Bosch sucks, did I say that already? Well, I can't say it enough.

ND U groove plugs....Nippondenso W14EXR-U

Gap: .032"

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom