How bad are my knuckles? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
B7FC3059-931B-4661-B23E-3CFB84AC8D2D.jpeg
CA5EA8F3-132F-4829-9CE3-5AB1E572BF9B.jpeg
Peeked underneath my truck today and found a knuckle stud missing on the right, all 4 are present on the left.

What’s more concerning is the inner 2 are bent into the brake dust cover so I can’t fit a wrench to tighten them. On a scale of 1 to 10 (catastrophic) how bad do y’all think they are?

I haven’t been wheelin it at all, though there is a pretty steep incline leading up to my apartment complex, I make the right turn and always hit the right tire first, maybe that’s why it’s in worse shape?

Any help is appreciated, thanks
B964F1B8-FC2A-4B8B-B216-F1D7DBBED7E2.jpeg

This is the right front wheel.

CA5EA8F3-132F-4829-9CE3-5AB1E572BF9B.jpeg

This is the left, the inner 2 are tucked into the brake cover.

Dust cover is bent into them not them into the dust cover. Hammer or wedge something in the dust cover and bend back toward the brake rotor and you will be able to get a wrench on the nut. Both look like they need to be rebuilt. There are a number of threads/vids on doing the job yourself if you are so inclined. I would try and find another dust cover for the one side if you cannot get it back into shape. Not sure if they are still available or if it something that would need to be sourced from a parts cruiser. Good luck.

As far as the stud that is broken hopefully once you get it apart there is enough of it left that you can grab it with a pair of vice grips and get the rest out. Otherwise you will have to drill it and use an ease out. Not the end of the world though.

You need to address this sooner than later.

Plan on a full rebuild, as it's time.

New studs, cones, nuts, washers, wheel bearings, seals, etc.

Do It.

Not only do you have one broken stud the one next to it looks loose. You're on borrowed time with a missing stud. If you have to drive it I'd torque all the nuts and check after each drive.

Kinda looks like the two inner studs on the right side have been replaced as they are a bit longer than the remaining 5. 🤔 Maybe not.
Think you're somewhere between hella sketchworthy and not safe to drive, especially when you "make the right turn and always hit the right tire first"? What exactly are you hitting? Or I misunderstand. Can't be doing any favors for the remaining 3 bolts performing the job that 4 bolts should be.
Good thing you took a look under. 👍

Rebuild videos from respected folks like OTRAMM do not appear to be replacing studs or hardware. Read a few opinions during research, but what is the general consensus on replacing during a rebuild? If first time for the rig, definitely replace originals? Or still depending on condition? All studs & washers, or just the 4 for steering arms? Grabbed a few studs in case of breakage, but will probably order the rest anyway - small price to pay “while you’re in there.” Probably answered my own question.

Last edited:
Kinda looks like the two inner studs on the right side have been replaced as they are a bit longer than the remaining 5. 🤔 Maybe not.
Think you're somewhere between hella sketchworthy and not safe to drive, especially when you "make the right turn and always hit the right tire first"? What exactly are you hitting? Or I misunderstand. Can't be doing any favors for the remaining 3 bolts performing the job that 4 bolts should be.
Good thing you took a look under. 👍
There’s an inclined road leading and I make a right turn contacting the right tire first instead of the front pair together

@cog97 I think you get it but if not, you really need to address your knuckle studs.

It appears that the steering arm is moving on the knuckle which means that the 3 remaining studs are loose. Obviously one stud is broken/missing already and the other three have similar wear and tear to that failed one but are now carrying more load while being compromised by being run loose. You put other people, yourself and your 80 at risk driving it like this. Getting a nice solid torque on the three remaining studs may buy you some time but you need to just go ahead and replace the studs, cone washers and nuts following best practice. It's not that hard or expensive, especially compared to the risk of failure these pose currently. In cases where they haven't been beat up, run loose, etc. I don't think there is an issue with reusing the studs/etc. but when there is risk that they are damaged just replace them.

FWIW, this is the LH side dust cover:

1636806764444.png

RH:

1636806899976.png

If your keeping the Cruise then rebuilding the front axle, it’s a right of passage.

Just do it. 😉

Yes, do it. Just finished mine a couple of weeks back. Great maintenance guide on the forum. OTRAMM video.
only tricky bit for me was getting the cone washers off. In your case, looks like they will fall out. I used an old chisel and light hammer taps on the split in the cone washer, and you can get one to pop out, after that, the rest should be easy.

Rebuild videos from respected folks like OTRAMM do not appear to be replacing studs or hardware. Read a few opinions during research, but what is the general consensus on replacing during a rebuild? If first time for the rig, definitely replace originals? Or still depending on condition? All studs & washers, or just the 4 for steering arms? Grabbed a few studs in case of breakage, but will probably order the rest anyway - small price to pay “while you’re in there.” Probably answered my own question.
FWIW when I did mine, I replaced the studs and lock washers, but not the cone washers or nuts.
Cone washers were not worn and the nuts were in good condition. The lock washers were flat and the studs were just peace of mind.
Also used locktite on the studs - red. Some do and some don't. Again just PoM.
Then blue locktite on the stud nuts.

FWIW when I did mine, I replaced the studs and lock washers, but not the cone washers or nuts.
Cone washers were not worn and the nuts were in good condition. The lock washers were flat and the studs were just peace of mind.
Also used locktite on the studs - red. Some do and some don't. Again just PoM.
Then blue locktite on the stud nuts.
Agree with you and others. Major peace of mind afterwards.
I did blue locktight, red might be the best in retrospect.

what is the general consensus on replacing during a rebuild? If first time for the rig, definitely replace originals?
They aren't indicated as replacement items in the FSM. A professional mechanic like OTRAMM -- well, an *ethical* one, anyway -- is only going to replace parts as necessary.

If you're not hurting for money, you might as well order some fresh asparagus, washers, and fasteners. The old ones go in the well-sorted parts bin in the back of the rig. Unless they're damaged, of course, in which case they go in the square not-a-cupholder to toss out the sunroof at tailgaters.

Screenshot_20211113-124943_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom