How are your cats? (1 Viewer)

Did you cut-and-turn your catalytic converters and do your sliders protect them?

• Unturned, no sliders

Votes: 60 59.4%
  • Unturned, Slee sliders

Votes: 13 12.9%
  • Unturned, Hanna sliders

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • Unturned, other/custom sliders without cat protection

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Unturned, other/custom sliders with cat protection

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • Turned 90 degrees, no sliders

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Turned 90 degrees, Slee sliders

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Turned 90 degrees, Hanna sliders

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Turned 90 degrees, other/custom sliders without cat protection

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Turned 90 degrees, other/custom sliders with cat protection

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NorCalDoug

problems solved daily...
Threads
There's been quite a bit of talk recently about cutting and turning the cats 90 degrees to provide better clearance.

I'm wondering how many have done this.

For the record, mine are in the original position as designed by the great engineers at Toyota :D.

Original position until friday...unless this poll changes my mind.

:D
I don't plan on doing anything until I need exhaust work done, but I'm curious about what people have done.

90 turn no sliders and never been hit
PICT0060.jpg

I plan to install some metal substrate converters in place of the stock ceramic units. Two 4" diameter Random Technology units will tuck up into the stock location very well. The stock units are roughly 4" x 8". Metal convereters have more internal flow area than an equivalent ceramic unit.

all 4 were good as 2 were sleeping on the bed when I left for work and the other 2 were on the creap looking for bad mousees ;p

as for the ones in the drive they are stock :D

My cats have been bothering me ever since I took off the running boards.

I bent the front one a bit and now I have a nasty exhaust sound that I dislike very much...I also have one at the exhaust manifold gaskets...

So, my plan:

I just ordered both front and rear exhaust manifolds from our favorite parts guy and I am going to replace the manifolds, the manifold gaskets, the two gaskets going into the two exhaust pipes and then I am going to put a new gasket into the flange between the two cats.

I've tried to have a 'cut-rate' shop turn the cats., but they kept telling me that the O2 sensor was prohibiting it...is this the case for all of you?

I'm heading down to Atlanta today and I might stop by and see Dearborn at ULC, and maybe he'll do them while he's putting in my front control brushings... :cool:

Best.
-onur
Akron, OH

As of Sunday - no turn, no plans to turn, plan on sliders. Still debating Slee tube or step and Hanna tube.

Still the way Toyota made em, only slightly beat up.
How long are these supposed to last anyway? I hear they are expensive.

Doug, you should include the option above of those that have replaced the oem cats/exhaust with something else since a lot of folks are now entering the end of the lifespan of their stock cats. I just replaced mine with the MagnaFlow catalytic converter (https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=48169). Not a good option in CA I know but folks in other states may be more interested in this approach given the $$$.

Mike R

The poll is limited to 10 choices. I used them all :D

That said, if anyone has gone with aftermarket cats, please speak up :)

I'm guessing there might be a few, but not many. Are there any identifiable markings on your cats as compared to the OEM cats? Anything that might tip off the smog-check monkey?

NorCalDoug said:

That said, if anyone has gone with aftermarket cats, please speak up :)

I'm guessing there might be a few, but not many. Are there any identifiable markings on your cats as compared to the OEM cats? Anything that might tip off the smog-check monkey?

Well that would be a good reason to get the Hanna sliders then. It covers the cats up nicely which in effect would obscure the cats from the smog monkey. Had to reject the cats if you can't see them well.

I got a hi-po cat at least it is now. :cool:

Enter BFH and concrete chisel and wa-la hi-po, hi-flow cat. :D

NorCalDoug said:

snip

yes, but can we do multiple votes of the same choice? :D

if not, this poll is flawed...! ;)

e9999 said:
yes, but can we do multiple votes of the same choice? :D
if not, this poll is flawed...! ;)
It's flawed only if you have 2 vehicles set up the same way...and want to vote twice...

Can be used to see about different slider chices too!

Are you thinking of turning them Doug, or are you just sitting there with a beer wondering about things? :D

I voted "unturnned, Hanna Sliders" because my sliders should be here this week(I hope). I don't see any reason to turn them with them with the hanna sliders.

Romer said:
Can be used to see about different slider chices too!

Are you thinking of turning them Doug, or are you just sitting there with a beer wondering about things? :D

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

I have a six-pack, come and join me :D

I started it to help a noob -- see this thread.

If I did ever turn mine, it would only be if I had to mess with the exhaust for some reason. I haven't had a problem with hitting the cats yet (hitting them very hard, that is). I've crashed down on the portion of my slider that goes under them a few times, but so far (knock on wood) I haven't seriously damaged my catalytic converters yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom