1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How are black side moldings attached on a 97 Collector's edition?

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by rsm, Mar 29, 2004.

1. rsm

rsm Guest

I would like to remove them but do not know if they are glued on or attached wiith some form of fastener. I think this black strip accent molding on the CE and the 40th Anniv Edition is ugly and takes away from the classic look of the cruiser but dont want to have to get in to patching holes in the sheet metal if that is how they are affixed. Has anyone ever done this?
    Thanks,

RSM

2. Junk

Junk

Please don't degrade the far superior 40th anniversary by comparing it to some wannabee lowly nag of a collectors edition. Our moulding and our trucks are far superior to anything else on the road. Bar none. :flipoff2:

Try a plasma cutter or sawzall.

Shees, some newbie coming in here and saying my superior truck is ugly. :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap:

3. rsm

rsm Guest

I thought only tiinkerbells drove that 40 anniversary piece of crap. I have seen bass boats that have a better looking paint job than those slugs.

4. e9999

e9999 You want to do what...? Moderator

ooooh, this could get interesting....
    :D
    E

5. scottm

scottm

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm no style expert, but my wife chose her 2-tone over my 40th when we bought them. Of course, manly men like us don't really care what it looks like, it's a cruiser.

6. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    Um, WOW,

I'm a bit confused as the OEM side mouldings are grey not black.

If they look like the ones in the below photo, they will leave holes in the body panels if removed.

7. rsm

rsm Guest

CruiserDan-You are correct, they are gray, with a black border, sort of a gray over black thing. I prefer the all white look, it's just cleaner IMO...but not worth the effort to remove them if sheet metal repair work is required.
    Thanks for everyones helpful replies.

8. Rookie2

Rookie2

FWIW.. I've removed the front fender flares which are bolted thru the fender and have (5) - 3/8" diameter holes plus three in the rear portion for snap-in connectors, and one hole for drainage tube. I imagine the side panels are affixed similarly.

Later.
    Rookie2

9. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    There are two locating holes in each panel for the side mouldings. there would be a total of 16 holes to fill if the side mouldings were removed. It would require refinishing both fenders, all four doors and both quarter panels.