How about steel rear bumper corners? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I knocked the tail pipe off and damaged the RR bumper corner/extension. I would love to take this opportunity to get a Slee or a Hannah, but can in NO way justify $1000-1700 on it. I'm just excited I've got the funds to spend on some OME springs to go with the Bilsteins I just installed. So, for the bumper, I'm just waiting for the right piece to come up used in the parts forum.

I've always like the look of the factory bumper because of the center steel portion. I just got to thinkin...why doesn't anyone sell bolt on heavy duty steel extensions for the rear? I haven't really examined the material of the center steel portion, but at first glance at least, it seems pretty stout. Could this be a viable option to making the rig a little more trail friendly for small $$? Possibly look to a local fabricator?

Thanks,
Perk

There is a set of bolt on bumperettes somewhere on this board- try searchng bumper threads.

I also think Luke at 4x4Labs has done some for a customer.

Ive been thinking this very thing simply for weight reasons. Most of these custom bumpers are veeeeery heavy duty and the penalty is 200+lbs typically with tire carriers.

I spoke with Frankie @ Frankies OffRoad who has some ideas on paper for tube style ones.
Metaltech should be coming out with something similar to the "one off" pics floating around in various bumper threads. I think those are dom tubing as well.

Id like something similar to the shortbus front bumper--low weight and good departure angles.

TiredIron has a thread thats fairly current with some bolt on Wings that look very promising......not sure on weight---but they look beefy and with a nice tucked up look.

These are pics of a Columbian 80 I found in another thread. These bumper covers don't protect the rockers, but they are an example of what can be done. I, too, like the idea of this lightweight approach for those of us who don't need the hardcore bumpers.
bumper cover.jpg
bumper cover 2.jpg

They could be done if the demand was high enough. By utilizing the factory hitch mount holes you can provide good support for a bumper wing that would protect the rear quarters as well.

The Metaltech site has photos of their orange 80 with some really cool-looking tube type bumper ends for the rear.

Now, why couldn't there also be something like that with a spare tire carrier on it? Getting that f**ng spare out from under there is key. I drag that stupid thing all the time and I am far from a "hardcore" wheeler.

Yeah, I know, market demand and all, but it is an idea to consider.

Its funny that you ask, I was the one that posted the pictures of the Green Colombian 80 you see above, and I am in the process of actually talking with the fabricator in Colombia on importing these into the states, they would be exactly as what you see above. From what I see the price range will be between $350 - $450 for each set, which includes everything you see above. Only difference is the place where the D Shackle hooks up to will be Welded instead of Bolted on.

Let me know if your interested in a set like this. I will start off with selling these type of set, but if things go well I will be designing a bumper end cover which would cover the rocker panels on the side, and it would be a lot cheaper then just getting a whole new rear bumper, with the same durability and strength.. In the future I intend on offering a rear tire carrier and separate Jerry can holders that looks similar to the KAYMAR one, it just bolts onto the truck.

Its funny that you ask, I was the one that posted the pictures of the Green Colombian 80 you see above, and I am in the process of actually talking with the fabricator in Colombia on importing these into the states, they would be exactly as what you see above. From what I see the price range will be between $350 - $450 for each set, which includes everything you see above. Only difference is the place where the D Shackle hooks up to will be Welded instead of Bolted on.

Let me know if your interested in a set like this. I will start off with selling these type of set, but if things go well I will be designing a bumper end cover which would cover the rocker panels on the side, and it would be a lot cheaper then just getting a whole new rear bumper, with the same durability and strength.. In the future I intend on offering a rear tire carrier and separate Jerry can holders that looks similar to the KAYMAR one, it just bolts onto the truck.

I would be interested in something like this! Especially with the rear tire carrier and separate Jerry can holder. My biggest reason to want a rear bumper is to relocated the spare tire, just bought (5) 33x12.5x15 and my spare tires sticks down even more now... :frown:

TEEJNUT - I can understand why you want to relocate your spare, I am having the same issue, I had to built a roof rack so I can put mine up there in the meantime, what I ultimately want is the whole rear bumper with tire and jerry can holder but its way out of my price range ($1500+) !!!

Right now we are in the first stages with the bumper corners, and depending on how that goes and the interest that we get, we will be expanding out to other rear options. I ultimately want to build a whole rear bumper kit for less than $1k I know it can be done...

I'd be interested in a complete set w/lower qtr panel 'wraps' when available...keep me posted. Thanks

I'd be interested in a complete set w/lower qtr panel 'wraps' when available...keep me posted. Thanks

Great, I will keep you guys updated as soon as I have more info..

The Metaltech site has photos of their orange 80 with some really cool-looking tube type bumper ends for the rear.

Now, why couldn't there also be something like that with a spare tire carrier on it? Getting that f**ng spare out from under there is key. I drag that stupid thing all the time and I am far from a "hardcore" wheeler.

Yeah, I know, market demand and all, but it is an idea to consider.

Fellas the Metal-tech rear corner guards will be avlaible, as in stocked, shortly. We have the first production ones coming off the fixtures right now. Probably $399.95 per pair. And yes we will also have a tire carier shortly as well for the same system, guards first.

ltrappedoutwl1.jpg

Mark

Fellas the Metal-tech rear corner guards will be avlaible, as in stocked, shortly. We have the first production ones coming off the fixtures right now. Probably $399.95 per pair. And yes we will also have a tire carier shortly as well for the same system, guards first.

ltrappedoutwl1.jpg

Mark

Good to know, Mark. I will be picking up a set of those soon!

(BTW- LT looks so cute in an 80... :flipoff2: )

Great input. I'm surprised I haven't run across this concept in the many hours I've spent on the forum. I think this would be a good way for me to go. I really like the idea of building on/improving what is already there.

My preference is the full wrap around protection/beefed up stock appearance of 4X4Lab's. I'll be giving them a call soon for a $. I wonder if skid plate protection is incorporated into the underside like their full rear bumper has?

Last edited:

ltrappedoutwl1.jpg

Mark

I have a feeling that because of me, someone at Metal Tech is getting a new TV. :flipoff2:

I'll definitely be purchasing these. Is it a hardcore installation? Any welding involved? It would be awesome to have a bar connect from the back of my MT Sliders to the top of those things, for complete rear fender protection.

I like that bumper lx450, where did you have it made, or did you do it yourself? Is it possible/worthwhile to incorporate skid plate protection underneath the wings? Is everyone mounting these the same? Are they just mounted to the center steel portion of the stock bumper or are they able to mount somewhere else on the frame? Is there enough support for wings that include some moderate protection for the rear panel and come underneath for skid plate protection, something like the 4X4Labs full bumper model? How about incorporating mudflaps?

I'm wondering if I should try to find a fabricator local to me who likely is unfamiliar with the 80 or find an 80's oriented merchant from the board.

I fabricated it myself a couple years ago. uses all the stock bolt holes so no moddification has to be made to the truck. how much skid protection are you looking for? Ive draged mine a few times and ever been worried. heres a few more shots so you can see the mounting points, im sure many of the other ones out there are similar
PICT0022.jpg
PICT0023.jpg
PICT0034.jpg

lx450landcruiser, i like your minimalist approach to the design, following the lines on the side the best. is that post on the corner for a spare tire mount. could the factory mud flap be used too? thanks and any more pics please:cool:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom