Houston,TX to Anchorage, AK - to Cruise or not to Cruise? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently acquired a 98' LX, in good mechanical condition, with 131k miles... My dad and I got to talking and we've taken other trips e.g. Moab, Montana, Colorado to go wheeling in different rigs and four wheelers before but Alaska is calling... Here's my dilemma I have an F350 diesel, 4x4 ,crew cab which could pull my 5th Wheel travel trailer OR I have the LX which will most likely be kitted out, all major maintenance done and just begging for adventure. I also have a family which will be in tow (wife and son 17, daughter 15 (ages at the time of travel May 2017)).

Options:
I could fly my wife and one or more of the kids to a pre-determined destination (Washington, Oregon) And enjoy thousands of miles of quiet.

I could save the airfare and buy an RTT or adventure trailer with an RTT for the LX too if needed.

I could drive the Ford

Thoughts?

Yes, I know it's a ways out but I'm a planner...

additionally, Lee has relatives in vancouver so it's never hard to get him out to the Northwest. Of course, with 3 plantations to manage, timing is always an issue.

Traveling like that with a 17 and 15 year old let alone a wife sounds horrible. Buy them tickets and take your dad and hundy for an epic ride. You know you can leave those other three at home. ;)

Sounds like a dream trip to me. I plan to do something similar in the next 5 years.

I would fly the wife and takes the kids and the dad on an epic adventure. Your kids will remember the trip. If kids started acting up, stop at the nearest air port and send them to join their mom. Good luck

I would load up the wife and the kids. In my opinion that is the whole point of adventure. If you can't enjoy it with your family you are doing it wrong!

Did Pennsylvania to Colorado this past summer. I would not have felt more comfortable in any vehicle besides my 100.

Load up the family and go for it! Cross country to Alaska is my dream trip.

Did Atlanta to Colorado with 3 boys, wife plus the dog. Take the fam.

Jay,
if you go the RTT route, then let me know. I'm selling my CVT RTT. Only used once. It has a vestibule and sleeps 2 and probably could sleep 3.
I can email you some pics of it in action if interested. Cheers, Pat.

So it's about 3 days of pure drive time to get there... I was thinking 7 days there and 7 back with 7 days in Alaska. I hope work doesn't miss me :rimshot:

I may take some additional time on the way out and go up the west coast which is where I'm from and do some things with the kids e.g. Yosemite Valley, Muir Woods, 101 etc.

And I hope gas prices remain low too...

Take the family, it's something they and you will always remember. I have been road tripping in my 99 LC 100 for better part of ten years. I love this truck for highway cruising and off road camping. I live in Houston, have camped all over Texas, driven to North Carolina twice, Florida 3 times 2 for Disney world, 1 Miami beach. Also while in florida visited Daytona beach. I have two boys who complained at first, but now that they are older say they had fun. One of my sons said he hated camping. Last year he said hey dad when are going camping again, go figure. Next trip Sandusky Ohio, for cedar point amusement park. Home of the most roller coasters in the United States, as well as the tallest. We play road trip games, punch buggy, license plate watch. Each state we enter we always stop at a visitor for bath break and read facts of the state. I had an entertainment system installed, and they could play the xbox, or watch movies. Never once did i hear are we there yet. I have a brother in Anchorage Alaska maybe one day i should put that trip on my bucket list.

Kids will always remember a trip like that (eventually) as a positive. If the wife truly doesn't enjoy that type of travel, fly her in and out and let her enjoy what she wants. Just my opinion based on my travels. Good luck!

After a discussion with your wife, see how she feels about the 3 (6 if you count coming back) day trek. I agree that there are some beautiful sights and stops along the road to AK and that a trip like this would be something they would remember for the rest of their lives. I think your dad would be OK on this trip since you guys have explored together, but the kids and wife may be your main consideration.

This can be a positive or a negative experience depending on how comfortable you make them feel. Will the RTT be able to support 4 people? Where will you sleep on the drive up there? In the RTT or hotels? On the other hand, it gives you a reason to spend some money on expedition gear :bounce:

Honestly, I feel like driving for 3 days is doable if you properly plan stops along the way for sight seeing, cool places and comfortable amenities. Let's chat about this tomorrow at the meeting if you're coming!

image.png
We just did a trip TN to CO for snow skiing. It was great! Take the fam!

Assuming everyone wants to travel together, I'd take whichever vehicle has more interior space. Personally, I'd feel a bit claustrophobic with three adults and two older kids packed in the cruiser for so many days.

If some decide to fly, that would change things (dollars to doughnuts, my kids would be begging to fly the return trip home with their mom).

Assuming everyone wants to travel together, I'd take whichever vehicle has more interior space. Personally, I'd feel a bit claustrophobic with three adults and two older kids packed in the cruiser for so many days.

If some decide to fly, that would change things (dollars to doughnuts, my kids would be begging to fly the return trip home with their mom).
Just four of us two adults and two kids. My mom and dad are traveling with their own rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom