SOLD Houston, TX: 1976/FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Mileage
Color
rgb(9, 133, 53)
6/1976 FJ40, 2F, H42, 82,166 miles on the clock

Back story – Truck was purchased by my PO from Wimberley 4x4 as a father/son project in 2006. Father/son team sent it back to Wimberley 4x4 in 2008. The guys there did a lot of mechanical and body work and the truck got one of the last steel full tubs that CCOT produced. It was at that shop a while and essentially got a body on restoration. Truck was originally 031 White but resprayed 621 Rustic Green. It was one of the last projects to come out of Daniel's shop before his brother passed away and he eventually sold the business to Proffitt's. I don't think my PO used it all that much after they got it back and they certainly did not maintain it like it deserved (i.e. sun baked hood and the mechanical refreshing it needed when I bought it.) I purchased it in October 2018. When shopping for a 40, I was set on a US spec truck with a 2F, front disk brakes, 4 spd, good body and clean title.

Chronological work during my ownership:

Baselining – December 2018
  • VR1 20w50 & Toyota 41010 filter
  • Coastal 80w90 gear oil
  • Magnetic hex head plugs
  • NGK 7082 plugs
  • Valve adjustment, checked timing
Steering – January 2019
  • Cruiser Outfitters knuckle rebuild kit w/ Koyo bearings
  • 555 Tie rod end kit
  • Joint Fuji center arm rebuild kit
  • Joint Fuji drag link repair kit
  • Old Man Emu Steering damper
  • Marlin Crawler HD inner axle seals
  • Warn locking hubs rebuilt
Brakes – April 2019
  • New OEM rotors
  • Toyota Reman calipers
  • OEM pads
  • Marlin Crawler backing plate delete kit
  • Stainless brake hoses
  • City Racer Brake Booster
  • OEM Brake Master Cylinder
  • Centric Drums
  • Centric Shoes
  • Centric Drum Brake Hardware Kit
  • Wheel Cylinders from Cruiser Outfitters
Suspension – May 2019
  • Old Man Emu 40 Series Light Medium kit from Cruiser Outfitters
    • CS002F front leafs
    • 60097 Nitrocharcher Sport front shocks
    • CS002R rear leafs
    • N76 Nitrocharger shocks
    • Bushings, greasable shackles, greasable pin kits, U-Bolts & nuts
Tires – May 2019
  • 33/10.5/15 Maxxis Razr MTs
  • OEM 15” steel wheels, painted with Rustoleum Dark Machine Gray
  • OEM Hubcaps
Clutch – December 2019
  • Aisin master
  • Aisin slave
  • OEM hose
Cooling System – July 2020
  • Aisin water pump
  • OEM thermostat, housing, gaskets, oil cooler pipe bolts, radiator cap, and fan belt sourced from EB Toyota Parts
  • New thermostat housing bolts from Overland Metric
  • OEM heater valve, oil cooler piping kit, and radiator union pipe from City Racer
  • City Racer stainless double wire hose clamps
  • $pecter Offroad radiator hose kit
  • All new Gates hoses
  • Radiator was pulled and sent to Downtown Radiator here in Houston - cleaned, pressure tested, soldered, sealed and repainted
  • Cooling system flush and refill with Valvoline Zerex
Parking Brake – July 2020
  • Cruiser Outfitters Japanese shoes and OEM hardware kit
  • Valley Hybrids rear double seal output housing
Other Features
  • 4PlusProducts Basic D Ring 8274 bumper (painted with Duplicolor SS100 which is an exact match to OEM pewter)
  • Tuffy center console with cup holders
  • New hard top hardware kit
  • New jump seat hardware kit
  • Hard top to tub weatherstripping from City Racer
  • ARB rear air locker (wiring harness present on firewall, switches present in cab, air line running into rear diff. PO told me they had a rear locker but their compressor burned out and they never installed a new one.)
  • Custom dual swingout rear bumper from Wimberley 4x4. Basket sized to fit three Scepter cans. Swingout bearings just replaced in July 2020.
  • Besttop bikini top
  • CCOT steel tailgate

The Good
  • Mechanically sound, ready for you to enjoy around town or in the mountains
  • Cruises low to mid 60s on highway with ease
  • Steers with 2 fingers
  • Brakes great
  • Parking brake works fantastic
  • Tub looks great. Spot welds visible around rear wheel wells. Rear sill is in great condition. Firewall, underside and floor of tub was sprayed with bedliner at Wimberley 4x4 back in ’08 for extra protection.
  • I can’t find any rot on the frame, and I keep the underside sprayed with Fluid Film for protection.
  • Still room for next owner to add value, tinker and make their own
The Bad – in no particular order
  • Very slow rear main seal leak
  • Needs new headliner
  • OEM radio present but not operational
  • Wavy dash pad
  • Needs weatherstripping around ambi doors
  • Small rust bubbles on bib
  • Very small rust spots near front door hinges. I have touched these up with Fluid Film
  • Rear heater not operational
  • Hardtop cap has patina from PO parking outside, I think a DA polisher would remove it

Insert normal story about never intending on selling this truck. I’ve owned it just under two years and I have only put 1,542 miles on the truck. I have invested a ton of money in OEM or equivalent parts from reputable sources because I planned on keeping the rig long term. The truck was in dire need of mechanical refreshing when I bought it. Now that it is ready to enjoy, my life circumstances have changed drastically and I need to move the truck. I took detailed notes on parts purchased and my maintenance schedule. I can provide proof of any of this for serious buyers.

It is a driver, not a garage queen. It has some dents, scratches, patina, etc that is normal for a vehicle like this. I believe these trusty old trucks are memory makers and are meant to be maintained, driven and enjoyed. It’s a looker for sure and you can’t drive it anywhere around town without people smiling and waving or leaving a note under the windshield wiper saying they want to buy it.

Mud price $25k obo

hVq3wvJ.jpg

yqarpTt.jpg

iJ9SUiX.jpg

Mu2rdB9.jpg

VrLax9Q.jpg

gRL28aH.jpg

Say it ain’t so! Sorry to see it sell.

Beautiful 40.

I know. It's a blast to drive. I'm half hoping I hang onto it a few more weeks so I can carry it up your way for a trip next month. But the Minister of War and Finance says it has to go for the saga to continue.

Great 40! A lot of work went into this 40, all done with years of ownership in mind. Solid Cruiser guy!!! Someone is going to get a great 40 at a great price.

Wish the timing was different. This is exactly what I'll be looking for as soon as my garage is completed. I imagine this won't be for sale long. Great looking truck!

At least you still have the 200! :)

Marking the truck as sold at the moment. I have fielded several interested buyers to work through already, and I am also working a couple trade deals. Pulling the truck off the market for a few days to give me a chance to work through my options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom