House fire totaled my cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks again to all who commented and even offered to help me through all this!

I'm going to keep the cruiser. Will have a salvage title but I'm getting it bought back for about $1,000 so I can deal with that.

When the insurance company was figuring the cost of repairs vs value to decide if it was a total loss, they wouldn't use the agreed value to decide if it was totaled- they used the book value which was around $7,000.

The estimate for replacing most of the exterior items including tires almost $5,000 before paint.

I'll have to jump through some hoops getting it back on the road but it will be worth it.

Time to start cleaning her up!

A Phoenix rising!
Shake off the soot, take a bath and fly on the steel breeze...

"When the insurance company was figuring the cost of repairs vs value to decide if it was a total loss, they wouldn't use the agreed value to decide if it was totaled- they used the book value which was around $7,000."

Wow. The purpose of an agreed value policy was that you and the insurance company agreed on the value of the vehicle before the policy is issued. In the event of a disaster, the insurance company guarantees to pay the agreed value. You should look at your policy wording very closely. There should be a statement something like "in the event of a total loss or theft we will pay the agreed value".

Bummer man....

My house burned down in 1991, I lost everything. Except one thing, my 1987 Land Cruiser! It was far enough away from the house it was undamaged and was the only thing I owned after the fire.

Cheers

There should be a statement something like "in the event of a total loss or theft we will pay the agreed value".

I might not have worded that very well. They are paying me the agreed value minus the $1,000 buy-back. So, I'm not complaining. I would have preferred to have been paid for repair and kept a clean title but that wasn't going to happen.

Dont underestimate the value of a very good detailing job on a top quality 30 year old Toyota paint job!

I can't believe how well everything cleaned up!

A local detail shop did the work for me. I would ordinarily have done it myself, but I would have never gone to the detail they did. 2 guys 12 hours total.

Could have had a Maaco paint job for what it cost me, but now it doesn't need paint!

There's some scratches that weren't there and obviously some melted exterior parts, but that's about it. Even the melted side marker lights are still working.

The only thing I've found that isn't working are the windshield washers. The headlight washers still work but I think the windshield washer nozzles are clogged.

I've ordered a new antenna and windshield gasket from @beno and will be looking for a good windshield shop in DFW.

The only part of my house that remains today is the dirt it was sitting on, so it's great to know the cruiser will live on!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hopeful resuits for another valued 60 vehicle. The feeling of accomplishment when you get it back on the road will be priceless.

That is great! The reflection in the paint is impressive.

+2

Great to see this rig shined up and back on the road. Here is to smooth cruising for you from here on out Scott. :beer:

One of a kind!
:cheers:

I have had several vehicles damaged to the point of being totaled. I knew in those circumstances that a salvage title would kill the value. I knew they were very repairable. So in all 3 of my cases, I was very chill with each insurance adjuster when he came to look at the vehicle. I asked each one to write it up for the maximum amount they could, but below the amount where the company would total it. All of the adjusters reacted differently to this, but all were readily willing to do this.

Yup definitely keep the burnt/melted parts as the character it gives your truck is incredible. Especially seeing as it has almost zero other issues. Glad you kept it and are getting it back on the road. New car today would have been a pile of melted plastic.

Thanks everyone. I'll be glad to get the title sorted out so I can start driving it again. With the policy I had before and the condition it was in, I never wanted to drive it much the last 2-3 years. Now, no reason not to drive it every day like it was made to do.

Nothing wrong with your cruiser. Just buy it back for low ($700.)blue book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom