Hotter than Hell in S Tex. - A/C Aux fan install ??!! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, it's over 100-degrees here in South Texas again. The FZJ is running fine and no problem with the temp. in terms of the engine. However, the air conditioning is having a hard time keeping up !

I had it into the shop the about six weeks ago and they evacuated the system and recharged. It blew as cold as ever. Then it got HOT outside and it blows cold while we are running down the road, but not as cold at the stop lights, for somewhat obvious reasons. I had the shop check it out again and they tested everything and said it is cooling up to spec. And I have to admit, in the morning it will freeze you out, but at 6:00 pm in the traffic, it's not as cool as one would like.

I was thinking about adding an electric auxiliary fan in front of the radiator and coil just to the right of the tranny cooler. It looks like a 12" fan would fit in there without any problem. I would want to wire it up to where I could switch it from (a) having it run in a continuous mode, (b) having it come on with the a/c compressor and (c) being able to it off completely while running at speed down the highway.

I did this on my old FJ-60 after we converted it to R-134a and put in a new, modern coil, etc. and it cools well; really well. My '94 5-series has an aux fan in it for just such a purpose and it makes all the difference in the world !!
So, I figured that it ought to help the FZJ too.

My only concern is that we will block off some of the normal air flow to the radiator and coil while in normal, driving down the road "mode".

Any thoughts on this ?? Other disadvantages to such an install that I haven't thought of ??

Cruiser Dan, you guys are dealing with these high temps too. Has anyone there done such a thing?

TIA,

R.

super90 said:
I was thinking about adding an electric auxiliary fan in front of the radiator and coil just to the right of the tranny cooler. It looks like a 12" fan would fit in there without any problem. Any thoughts on this ??

PM Steve Laird in Dallas (he's "airlaird" here on Mud)...he has done it with a Lexus fan. Check his pics and info on his recent Rig of The Week thread.

I know your pain..I was on Padre Island over the weekend and damn near melted in all the humidity and high temps. I wonder if Airlairds setup automatically cuts on when the AC is on or what....Keep us hot weather types posted if you do find a good solution.

Thanks,

I just did this over the weekend. I know the feeling, 107 in Vegas and lots of stoplights. I installed a new compressor, clutch, and filter/drier a couple of months ago. I pulled an electric (Nippondenso) fan from a Toyota sedan in the junkyard and connected to a relay activated from the AC clutch. This seems to work much better now. I will try to snap some pics tonight if I get a chance. The whole thing only took about an hour to install, I spent more time at the junkyard looking for a fan.

JDay said:
I pulled an electric (Nippondenso) fan from a Toyota sedan in the junkyard and connected to a relay activated from the AC clutch. This seems to work much better now. I will try to snap some pics tonight if I get a chance.

Please post pics and info on wiring scheme. What year/model Toyota sedan?

Been there, done that.....:D

I used the JDM fan assembly that is found on vehicles the factory dual A/C. It mounts to existing points on the A/C condensor and center grille brace and it looks "factory"........:D Imagine that....

I found Airlairds thread, but I don't find the pics attached.

I am looking at one of Spal or a Flex-a fan units, 12".

Laird seems to have moved his horns, which looks like it might be needed. I don't know what the LX470 fan looks like, how much it costs or how much air it pushes, but for $70, Flex-a-fan has a unit that will easily push 850 cfm. Spal has a high performance fan model 30102025 that puts out over 1600 cfm, that looks good, but might be too deep (3.7"). It probably makes more noise, but heck, cool is cool. Model 3010203, costs about $135, It's 3.4" deep, is curved-bladed (that should be quieter) and pushes over 1300 cfm's. That might be the best bet.

I can't image the LX 470 fan moves that much air !!!

Laird ?!

Thanks,

R.

cruiserdan said:
I used the JDM fan assembly that is found on vehicles the factory dual A/C. It mounts to existing points on the A/C condensor and center grille brace and it looks "factory"........:D Imagine that....

So I guess in parts speak that means the fan is not available here? Is there a close acceptable Toyota substitute that can be mounted in a similar fashion? Tonto like "factory" look.

CDan, What is a JDM fan ? Where does one get one ? Any idea of how much air it moves ?

I am all for factory parts, if that is indeed what we are talking about, but hell, the cooler the air the better !!

Thnx.

JDM indicates Japan Domestic Market. And yes, it can be obtained in the US thanks to the efforts of yours truely.......:D

I got TMS USA to "load" the part number about 6 years ago and as such I am able to off-line order one when I want to. ;)

OK, I'll play along.

So, what does one pay for said fan, which is made of that ever valuable automotive material call "un-obtainium" ?

Dunno the current pricing but I can check tomorrow for you.

IIRC it was about 200 bucks or so.

Hmmmm. $135 for 1600 cfm is sounding good compared to $200.

Dan, do you know of a toyota 3-position switch that will mount in a '94 FZJ ? There is a slot next to my rear heater that looks open. Would that be a possibility?

Appreciate all the help and ideas !

R.

cruiserdan said:

cruiserdan said:
JDM indicates Japan Domestic Market. And yes, it can be obtained in the US thanks to the efforts of yours truely.......:D

I got TMS USA to "load" the part number about 6 years ago and as such I am able to off-line order one when I want to. ;)

I'd be interested in this for sure. My A/C seems to lose it's effectiveness in stop and go traffic as well.

I had this problem for the 17 years I lived in Katy near Houston, Texas, and I finanly solved it. I moved to California!

my AC is the same on hot days at low RPM it is not very cold, will freeze you out at highway speeds.

super90 said:
Hmmmm. $135 for 1600 cfm is sounding good compared to $200.

Dan, do you know of a toyota 3-position switch that will mount in a '94 FZJ ? There is a slot next to my rear heater that looks open. Would that be a possibility?

Appreciate all the help and ideas !

R.

rear heat switch, it takes some slight electrical modifications, you can also wire the LED’s in it so they light only when the controlled device is powered, I used one in my dual battery install, Dan also used one I think for the sub tank IIRC and did s slick job of remarking it.

The switch has 3 positions, orange for high, OFF no led, and green for low,

I think one way to wire it would be high for always ON, OFF for always OFF and green wired to two thermostats in parallel, one in the condenser of the AC (I measured it @ 135° at idle on a warm day) and one in the radiator, the end of all this signal level current would be tripping a relay that turns on the fan.

The thermostats would keep the fan from running when it is not needed saving wear and tear on the alternator, fan, battery and also slight gas mileage improvement (that electric power costs fuel)

I have seen thermostats that come with fan kits that insert into the fins of the radiator. Sourcing them alone might be interesting. Also need to come up with the right temps. Maybe 120° for the condenser and maybe a little higher for the radiator. The thermostats should be near the outlet or end of each heat exchanger. You are more interested in how hot the stuff is coming out not how hot it is coming in.

We should start a group-buy for the JDM fan here in Texas, with the daily temperature of over 100F!

IIRC, someone in the LSLC (Jack?) has the flex-lite version of the fan mounted on his 80. It did help with the AC performance, but it was very noisy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom